Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirGL Now Capable Of OpenGL 4.1 With Latest Mesa

Phoronix: VirGL Now Capable Of OpenGL 4.1 With Latest Mesa

The VirGL stack for offering OpenGL hardware acceleration to guest virtual machines with KVM is now capable of utilizing OpenGL 4.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Silly Question - Would the DXVK (et all) projects be able to work here?

just take the windows DirectX API calls and send them through the Vulkan layer? Is there already a project to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      Silly Question - Would the DXVK (et all) projects be able to work here?

just take the windows DirectX API calls and send them through the Vulkan layer? Is there already a project to do this?
      As covered in other Phoronix articles, there is a GSoC project working on Vulkan support for VirGL but it's not yet usable. As it stands now VirGL just supports OpenGL.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Please implement spice over tcp support, otherwise most users won't be able to use it, which is a pity considering how good it is.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

is there a re VirGL driver for the windows guests?

Comment

Wow... I knew development for this was going to be fast, but I didn't think it was going to be this fast. I'm sure by the end of the summer, VirGL will be more compliant than all the other drivers.
            Originally posted by deant View Post
            I would also like to know this. Though, I don't suppose it'll be too useful, seeing as most Windows applications need DirectX.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'm sure by the end of the summer, VirGL will be more compliant than all the other drivers.
              lol. of course it will, the question is which year's summer

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                lol. of course it will, the question is which year's summer
                It was implied I meant this summer (specifically, for the northern hemisphere), which I think is a reasonable estimate. Progress for VirGL is very fast, because (I assume) it doesn't actually do any of the rendering. I'm guessing the extensions are just simply redirected (maybe over a virtual network?) to the actual hardware drivers, so it really just comes down to testing if these redirections actually work. I'm guessing there's some behind-the-scenes work done, or else I think this would already have complete feature parity with current Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Windows-Guests

It is but currently limited to OpenGL (no DirectX acceleration).

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Windows-Guests

It is but currently limited to OpenGL (no DirectX acceleration).
                    Is that enough for an accelerated desktop / MS office? I'm not talking games...

Comment

Working...
                    X