AMD Kaveri Gets A Big Performance Boost With Mesa 18.2 & AMDGPU DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    In related news, AMD now plans to disable amdgpu DC on Kaveri by default: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/022021.html
    Because they have no hardware to test LVDS/VGA. Which apparently wasn't a problem before amdgpu DC or with radeon?
    The code for radeon and non-DC amdgpu was written back when we had hw. These are 3 generation old APUs. It's not that we can't or won't implement support for VGA or LVDS on these old parts, it's about avoiding regressions for users now. It can be re-enabled once support is added.

Comment

As the hardware museum "I" am I could send them some stuff to test with
      But honestly, even as a fabless HW company they are supposed to have some HW floating around. I mean, they were among the first to have colour graphics, so they should also have some VGA peripheral devices. Moreover if they needed a VGA on the mainboard output side, there are still plenty AM1 ones out there for cheap, and most of them also feature a VGA connector.

---
      > agd5f
      Okay, that makes sense. Still, if you need old stuff ... feel free to ask. Just shipment might be somewhat expensive.
      Last edited by Adarion; 11 May 2018, 11:26 AM. Reason: agd5f so much faster to answer than me
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

The comment in the code before this commit was:

So I'm pretty sure someone noticed before. The difference now is that "2" is working with the amdgpu kernel module.
        Whoever wrote this line should be banned from writing software again - ever. -.-

Comment

Irrelevant but i must say this now: AMD check your partners! It was to built 10 cheap mini itx pc, immediately i thought 2200g at 90eu but then i saw that there where no a320 mini itx, only b350 at 100eu+. So i built the systems with Intel, saved 50eu from motherboard, 20eu from slower ram that slows 2200g but not the multithread pentium and 30eu from the processor it self. Yes the cpu performance was 2/3 thanks to hyperthreading but i saved 100eu from each pc that bought me an rx560 mini itx or similar Nvidia for each with massive gpu gaining. I'm thinking that motherboard vendors steal those 50eu from AMD. The same must happening on other fields as well.
          Last edited by artivision; 11 May 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Wow, after so many years. What a bad joke
            It's AMD's FineWine technology. Their hardware ages like a fine wine, and gets faster as time goes by...

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              Irrelevant but i must say this now: AMD check your partners! It was to built 10 cheap mini itx pc, immediately i thought 2200g at 90eu but then i saw that there where no a320 mini itx, only b350 at 100eu+.
              I'm holding onto my A10-7870K because I noticed the same sort of problems - the boards costs more than a 2200G and close to the 2400G. Then you start looking at DDR4 ram and... yeah never mind I'll keep this for another year at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Whoever wrote this line should be banned from writing software again - ever. -.-
                The software industry is lucky that you are not a manager of software development.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I'm holding onto my A10-7870K because I noticed the same sort of problems - the boards costs more than a 2200G and close to the 2400G. Then you start looking at DDR4 ram and... yeah never mind I'll keep this for another year at least.
                  Gaah, I just bought my Raven Ridge 2400G rig and right off noticed that it's twice as fast as my Kaveri 7850k at just about everything, now that's out the window.

On the other hand, I have to run Mageia Cauldron and the Linus kernel (4.16-8) and Cauldron is still quite green.

It's still fascinating how much and how frequently AMD stuff improves and speeds up, even old crufty stuff like Kaveri.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    Gaah, I just bought my Raven Ridge 2400G rig and right off noticed that it's twice as fast as my Kaveri 7850k at just about everything, now that's out the window.
                    It's only faster in cases which are RB bound. In general you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                      As the hardware museum "I" am I could send them some stuff to test with
                      But honestly, even as a fabless HW company they are supposed to have some HW floating around.
                      We definitely have *some* HW floating around - the question is whether we have exactly the hardware required for a specific issue. Even when we do, not every instance behaves the same way when the programming isn't right.

I accumulated a few Kaveri systems over the years - will check through them over the weekend. I definitely have one with VGA out and *may* have a laptop with LVDS.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X