RadeonSI Ups Its Compiler Threads To Let Shader-DB Run Faster On Modern Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Should hopefully translate to faster load times on many core CPUs for games as well
    This. I really hope to see benchmarks with empty cache that show whether this helped in games where startup was slowed by shader compilation

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Though in practice, I'm not aware of any computers where it wouldn't be. 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, etc. cores all divide evenly. I guess maybe in a virtual environment there might be an odd # of cores assigned.

+ of course virtual environments
      Last edited by konserw; 29 April 2018, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Though in practice, I'm not aware of any computers where it wouldn't be. 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, etc. cores all divide evenly. I guess maybe in a virtual environment there might be an odd # of cores assigned.
        Even with numbers that are in theory divisible by 4 you may get a different result because floating point numbers have errors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floati...uracy_problems

/edit:
        Removed the wrong example because I'm bad at math in my head

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

Even with numbers that are in theory divisible by 4 you may get a different result because floating point numbers have errors

Not if you have integral numbers all the way, which is the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
            Not if you have integral numbers all the way, which is the case here.
            Yes but there's a division there so the result may not be a integral number anymore. Easy example: 1 / 10 is NOT 0.1 in floating point arithmetic.

/edit: And the original post I replied to had "0.75" which isn't an integral number
            Last edited by droste; 29 April 2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

Yes but there's a division there so the result may not be a integral number anymore. Easy example: 1 / 10 is NOT 0.1 in floating point arithmetic.

/edit: And the original post I replied to had "0.75" which isn't an integral number
              In this case though, we're dividing by 4, which is a power of two, so the result is exactly representable by a float. 0.75 is also exactly representable in binary (0.112). Also, I was talking about thread counts that are divisible by 4, like those listed there.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                marek what were the effects of this change in shaderdb execution time?
                shader-db was bottlenecked by the 3-thread shader compiler queue, so it only used 5 threads or so on a 16-thread CPU. Now it's using ~16.

Comment

Any idea what effect this will have on multiple NUMA nodes? Is each thread mostly self-contained or will there be memory swapping across nodes?

Comment

Working...
                  X