No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Ups Its Compiler Threads To Let Shader-DB Run Faster On Modern Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Ups Its Compiler Threads To Let Shader-DB Run Faster On Modern Systems

Phoronix: RadeonSI Ups Its Compiler Threads To Let Shader-DB Run Faster On Modern Systems

The RadeonSI compiler queue can now run across more CPU cores/threads of modern systems though it appears this will primarily just benefit those running the shader-db shader test cases...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...mpiler-Threads

Should hopefully translate to faster load times on many core CPUs for games as well

Comment

"threads times three divided by four" is an odd way of saying "threads*0.75"

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        it is a difference between integer and floating point numbers

Comment

It's just literally what the code does :-)

Code:
          num_comp_hi_threads = hw_threads * 3 / 4;
          And it's not the same for the computer! Since these are integer operations the result is not the same as "threads*0.75"

Comment

Moah performance.!!

Any idea how would this translate to gallium nine performance for Starcraft 2 for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
              It's just literally what the code does :-)

Code:
              num_comp_hi_threads = hw_threads * 3 / 4;
              And it's not the same for the computer! Since these are integer operations the result is not the same as "threads*0.75"
              Though in practice, I'm not aware of any computers where it wouldn't be. 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, etc. cores all divide evenly. I guess maybe in a virtual environment there might be an odd # of cores assigned.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Though in practice, I'm not aware of any computers where it wouldn't be. 12, 16, 24, 32, 36, 48, etc. cores all divide evenly. I guess maybe in a virtual environment there might be an odd # of cores assigned.
                Maybe some multi-CPU setup where the CPU's don't have same amount of cores?

Comment

marek what were the effects of this change in shaderdb execution time?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Or simply three quarters

Comment

Working...
                    X