Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Early Bits Of The "Soft FP64" Infrastructure Will Be Mainlined Soon In Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Last time I asked this, I think the Intel guy told me that from HD4000 onwards the Intel iGPUs actually have hardware support for fp64.

Which sounds totally like a sensible route to go with when higher OpenGL versions mandated fp64 and there was no useful open-source software fp64 implementation. Will be interesting to see whether fp64 will again go away from budget hardware in the future

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Which sounds totally like a sensible route to go with when higher OpenGL versions mandated fp64 and there was no useful open-source software fp64 implementation. Will be interesting to see whether fp64 will again go away from budget hardware in the future
      Since it's not a dedicated piece of silicon but just a "mode" to use the same blocks they have anwyay, I doubt they will drop it.

It might not receive attention (so it might run crappier if they re-arrange things to have more important functionality working better), but I doubt dropping it at all is worthwhile.

Also because while still technically much weaker than a dedicated GPU it still beats software-only fp64 (i.e. on CPU).

Comment

Right... FP64 was initially an "add-on" with fairly big silicon cost, but when we moved to GCN we were able to architect low-rate fp64 into the core design.

It might end up on the chopping block if we were ever making a REALLY low-end part, eg for servers, but I doubt we would remove it otherwise.

I expect the same applies to other vendors, but I don't know that for a fact.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X