Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

That one is many cursed. Nvidia has made. There more than 1 Geforce GT 710.

NVD7 (GF117) Geforce GT 710M that a NVC0 family (Fermi) that is fully supported.
    NVE7 (GK107) Geforce GT 710M that is NVE0 family (Kepler) that is only part supported no automatic re-clocking.
    Both are made in PCIe forms. Both in fact from many Nvidia board partners have the close to the heatsinks(without taking them off the board they are absolutely identical) on them came in the same printed cardboard box can with the same driver disc.... So it depend on what chip the Nvidia board partners had in stock when they were making their 710M what chip you got. You cannot go by date of production of the board because Fermi cards and Kepler cards for the 710M were manufactured at the same time.

Retail branding and what the card is with Nvidia in may cases don't line up 1 to 1 for the lower cards. There are lots of cases of Nvidia having cards being made with silicon from two complete different generations of Nvidia silicon with the same retail name at the same time with the board partners putting them in close to absolutely identical packaging. This Geforce GT 710M is not a one off. This is something that AMD and Intel has avoided doing at this stage and I hope they always do.

Nvidia retail branding is between 1 to 3 different silicon chip across 1 to 2 generations of silicon and that the way it is in the older cards

Newer cards since the absolute annoyed users with Maxwell cards with this problem that caused what was same box what appeared to be the same card one would run particular games and the other would not and the problem was the different silicon chip so since then Nvidia been good doing Retail brand equals 1 silicon chip. Lets hope they stay that way. Yes there were a lot of returned Maxwell cards because users thought they were defective. Of course that made worse that series 1 Maxwell allows load your own firmware and series 2 Maxwell the firmware must be signed and Nvidia has not released the firmware to open source drivers to use series 2 Maxwell cards.
    Thanks. Didn't realise nVidia were pulling that kind of trick. That's simply criminal activity rebadging something it is not. Will have to take an actual good look at the details when I next fire up that old PC.
    Hi

Comment

• Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Thanks. Didn't realise nVidia were pulling that kind of trick. That's simply criminal activity rebadging something it is not. Will have to take an actual good look at the details when I next fire up that old PC.
      Both companies are bad at misleading customers and gimping cards. I find it astonishing that ppl didn't criticize this joke of a card, the 7900 GRE but of course, this site is full of delusional AMD fanboys so no chance of that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Both companies are bad at misleading customers and gimping cards. I find it astonishing that ppl didn't criticize this joke of a card, the 7900 GRE but of course, this site is full of delusional AMD fanboys so no chance of that happening.
        The 7900GRE has a different name and definitely has gotten some flack from people here for being to similar to the 7800XT but it is still clear that it is a different card.
        But that isn't the point here, Nvidia releases cards with the exact same name but different specifications.
        This wasn't the last time either as the GT1030 had a similar situation with GDDR5 and DDR4 variants and you wouldn't know what you got until you got it but the impact in performance is immense.

Then again expecting you to ever be critical on Nvidia or know about anything you talk about is a very tall order with a negative chance of happening

Comment

• Originally posted by tenchrio View Post

The 7900GRE has a different name and definitely has gotten some flack from people here for being to similar to the 7800XT but it is still clear that it is a different card.
          But that isn't the point here, Nvidia releases cards with the exact same name but different specifications.
          This wasn't the last time either as the GT1030 had a similar situation with GDDR5 and DDR4 variants and you wouldn't know what you got until you got it but the impact in performance is immense.

Then again expecting you to ever be critical on Nvidia or know about anything you talk about is a very tall order with a negative chance of happening
          Ah, it's 'Number 2 AMD fanboy' replying.....yay! I see you still have reading comprehension problems - when I said 'BOTH companies' - that implies both Nvidia and AMD, not just AMD.

Lots of ppl here already bash Nvidia and I have as well - so, your accusation is false and more bs. The 7900 GRE is a joke of a card that was meant for a different geographical region but AMD just couldn't help themselves and wanted more profit so they thought they'd fool the rest of the world and release it elsewhere.

Yes, the GT 1030 was a bs trick but ppl could investigate and figure out the variants with a bit of digging - at least, they could avoid the crappy DDR4 variants that way. The 7900 GRE is also in the expensive gpu territory while the GT 1030 is not really meant as a gaming gpu by any imagination. The 7900 series is implied to be.

Comment

Ah, it's 'Number 2 AMD fanboy' replying.....yay! I see you still have reading comprehension problems - when I said 'BOTH companies' - that implies both Nvidia and AMD, not just AMD.
            ​I see you still have logic and reading comprehension problems. The 7900 GRE is clearly indicative in its name that it is a different card. You know not the same. It is similar to Nvidia releasing the RTX 3060 8GB, a worse card than the 12GB, but it is advertised on the box what you are getting unlike the GT1030 or the GT710M, you know what the quote you quoted was referring to all while you once again randomly went on an AMD rant out of nowhere (perhaps not random, maybe you really are that stupid you don't understand the difference at all).

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Lots of ppl here already bash Nvidia and I have as well - so, your accusation is false and more bs.
            Your "bashing" of Nvidia, is almost always "Nvidia bad but Nvidia the best" followed by bashing AMD with an absolute moronic, idiotic argument that is ill constructed with barely any connection to the quote you are addressing , just like you did now. The 7900GRE is in no way comparable to the bullshit Nvidia pulled with the GT 710M, the GT1030. This is of course hard to understand for anyone who doesn't posses a 5 year old's understanding of nouns .

It is completely off topic, and as I said the 7900 GRE definitely was criticized here (you even posted in that thread, how do you not remember?! What are you a goldfish?),
            And I have plenty of proof by now that you are clearly hating on AMD to hate on AMD for the sake of it, remember how you decided to post in a thread on a deleted article long after it was deleted? I remember, which makes every one of your attempt to call my accusation false and BS all the more laughable.
            You are so obviously bringing up AMD just to bash it for no reason, it is absolutely pathetic.

Comment

Lots of ppl here already bash Nvidia and I have as well - so, your accusation is false and more bs. The 7900 GRE is a joke of a card that was meant for a different geographical region but AMD just couldn't help themselves and wanted more profit so they thought they'd fool the rest of the world and release it elsewhere.
              All the AMD 7900 are in fact the same silicon dia. Yes the 7900 GRE, 7900 TX and the 7900 XTX are the same silicon dia the Navi 31 die.

Not all the die come off the production line in perfect condition. What do you do with a Navi 31 die that comes off the production line perfect that becomes a 7900 XTX. What do you do with a Navi31 die that is a little messed up that comes a 7900 XT. What do you do with a Navi31 die that is very messed up that comes a 7900GRE.

Turns out some of the parties who disassemble and compare cards have noticed that GRE cards even from the same maker have different areas of memory populated.

The GeForce GT 1030 has two different silicon dies GP108-310-A1 and GP108-300-A1 this lead to different clocks and different power usage.

GeForce GTX 1060 this card you have the chance of 7 different bits of silicon that can be on the card.

I am not saying that 7900 GRE is not AMD attempting to get money. But lot of what AMD is doing with the 7900 GRE is cost recover they have produced the silicon what are they going to do with the duds that are not good enough to be 7900TX or 7900XTX..

At least the reviews with 7900 GRE, 7900TX and 7900 XTX for customers are going to be predictable because it is the same silicon die.

Nvidia sales name and silicon are not aligned.

GeForce RTX 4060 Ti yes this one is also 2 different possible silicon. So you can looking at two reviews of a 4060Ti and be getting different results and it silicon.

Panix something to remember open source driver is going to work it depends on the silicon that the card has. AMD is quite simple take a retail name buy a card/cpu/motherboard and get a predictable bit of silicon provided. Nvidia not so much.

Last edited by oiaohm; 29 April 2024, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• I just wanted to know if a shitty old GeForce 710 PCI-e card worked with nouveau or not
                Hi

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  All the AMD 7900 are in fact the same silicon dia. Yes the 7900 GRE, 7900 TX and the 7900 XTX are the same silicon dia the Navi 31 die.

Not all the die come off the production line in perfect condition. What do you do with a Navi 31 die that comes off the production line perfect that becomes a 7900 XTX. What do you do with a Navi31 die that is a little messed up that comes a 7900 XT. What do you do with a Navi31 die that is very messed up that comes a 7900GRE.

Turns out some of the parties who disassemble and compare cards have noticed that GRE cards even from the same maker have different areas of memory populated.

The GeForce GT 1030 has two different silicon dies GP108-310-A1 and GP108-300-A1 this lead to different clocks and different power usage.

GeForce GTX 1060 this card you have the chance of 7 different bits of silicon that can be on the card.

I am not saying that 7900 GRE is not AMD attempting to get money. But lot of what AMD is doing with the 7900 GRE is cost recover they have produced the silicon what are they going to do with the duds that are not good enough to be 7900TX or 7900XTX..

At least the reviews with 7900 GRE, 7900TX and 7900 XTX for customers are going to be predictable because it is the same silicon die.

Nvidia sales name and silicon are not aligned.

GeForce RTX 4060 Ti yes this one is also 2 different possible silicon. So you can looking at two reviews of a 4060Ti and be getting different results and it silicon.

Panix something to remember open source driver is going to work it depends on the silicon that the card has. AMD is quite simple take a retail name buy a card/cpu/motherboard and get a predictable bit of silicon provided. Nvidia not so much.
                  Whatever, you shouldn't be like that other jerk on here who replied after me.

"You'd be forgiven if you've never heard of the AMD Radeon RX 7900 Golden Rabbit Edition (GRE) as it was a graphics card released for the Chinese market. AMD is now rolling out the GPU worldwide, which awkwardly sits between the Radeon RX 7800 XT and RX 7900 XT in the product stack. On paper, it's a limited RX 7900 XT with similar specifications here and there, but it also manages to encroach on the territory governed by the RX 7800 XT. So I find myself wondering who this graphics card is manufactured for."

The other article explicitly states it's a '6800 xt successor.'

This is a heavily gimped card that was not meant for any market but the Chinese market but they decided it wouldn't offer enough profit so they decided to release it elsewhere? It's on the level of 6800/6900 performance but for ppl who don't know any better, they'll think they're getting a '7900 series' card. I didn't say it was similar to the Nvidia 1030 memory fiasco - I just said both AMD and Nvidia are guilty of misleading and issuing crippled/gimped cards - the difference is the AMD fanboys on here excuse AMD and bash Nvidia. You're hypocrites.

"But lot of what AMD is doing with the 7900 GRE is cost recover they have produced the silicon what are they going to do with the duds that are not good enough to be 7900TX or 7900XTX.."
                  Perhaps, they should have used the 7800 name and call it something based on that? So, they screwed up with manufacturing or had duds so they are gonna try and profit on flawed cards - Nvidia does that, too, right? But, why does AMD get a free pass? Because, the silicon is the same?!?
                  Last edited by Panix; 29 April 2024, 01:53 PM.

Comment

"You'd be forgiven if you've never heard of the AMD Radeon RX 7900 Golden Rabbit Edition (GRE) as it was a graphics card released for the Chinese market. AMD is now rolling out the GPU worldwide, which awkwardly sits between the Radeon RX 7800 XT and RX 7900 XT in the product stack. On paper, it's a limited RX 7900 XT with similar specifications here and there, but it also manages to encroach on the territory governed by the RX 7800 XT. So I find myself wondering who this graphics card is manufactured for."

RX 7800 XT is Navi 32 Die

Panix there is are a few basic rule of silicon production.
                    1) Large there die size the higher the defect rate.
                    2) newer the silicon production method also higher the defect rate.

If you look at the 3 RDNA_3 Dies the Navi 31 is the most likely to be defective. Make a defective die usable you use a process to disable parts of the die.

There is another sign they are recovery.
                    RX 7900 GRE (4×)
                    RX 7900 XT (5×)
                    RX 7900 XTX (6×)
                    ​Note the MCD counts. Then you see the chip with heat sink removed on RX 7900 GRE different locations out of 6 MCD are populated. You see the same thing with the RX7900XT

Note RX7900 has the same MCD count as the RX7800

What do you do you have produced a stack of Navi 31 dies not good enough to be RX7900 XT or RX7900XTX and you did not leave a number space.

AMD already had what they had planned as the RX 6800 XT successor the RX 7800 XT so that statement that the RX7900 GRE is the planned RX6800 XT success is absolutely false.

I would say AMD hoped they could dump a stack of defective silicon on the Chinese market with is very lax consumer protection laws with the RX 7900 GRE. Now they are putting in other markets because opps they have had that many defective Navi 31 die that is too many for the china market to take up.

Do note it something AMD has done more than once have a opps with silicon production of something and dump the cut down version on china.

Something in the china awkwardly position in the AMD stack be it GPU or CPU is normally limit batches of rejects. Like the 8 core AM4 chips instead of 1 full CCD had 2 half CCD.

Silicon production is a horrible game. Marketing from AMD and placement in China really amd they were expect RX 7900 GRE to be a limited run of duds. Remember AMD has to pay storage fees to keep not used die or destruction fees to dispose of them.

Something you miss running the lazer on the Navi31 die to disable the functionality to turn a RX7900XT/RX7900XTX die into RX7900GRE die is not a zero cost operation and is not a 100 percent yield operation..

Something else to remember RX7000 series is the first time AMD uses MCD prior to RX7000 series everything is monolithic. So this is new tech. Lets say AMD was projecting that at worst only 1 of the connection to MCD from Navi 31 die would not work but now they have stacks of Navi31 dies where 2 MCD connections don't work.

Occam's razor say the simplest explain to RX 7900 GRE existence is the production of Navi31 dies produced more duds than expected and RX 7900 GRE exists to use cut back dies back to make them usable. Cutting the RX7900 die bake makes it conflict with Radeon RX 7800 XT. But what are going to do if you have dud chips stacking up.

Yes attempt to hide the duds in china. Then when you have more duds than what china market can take release it on the global market. AMD and Intel have done this with CPUs for decades. AMD with GPU commonly don't do this.

Comment

Whatever, you shouldn't be like that other jerk on here who replied after me.
                      Ah yes, the pot calling the kettle black. Unlike oiaohm, I lost the patience to deal with your childish nonsense.

LMAO you once again quote something that counter proofs your point, but what else is new.

And then you link a arstechnica forum post as evidence XD I just can't with this guy, it's like when you linked Reddit as your "informative research" and in the thread they weren't even sure if the GPU was used by the programs they were talking about. Then again you are insanely biased and anything that even shows the slightest sign of agreeing with you is top tier research in your eyes, regardless of how questionable a source it is.

This is a heavily gimped card that was not meant for any market but the Chinese market but they decided it wouldn't offer enough profit so they decided to release it elsewhere? It's on the level of 6800/6900 performance but for ppl who don't know any better, they'll think they're getting a '7900 series' card. I didn't say it was similar to the Nvidia 1030 memory fiasco - I just said both AMD and Nvidia are guilty of misleading and issuing crippled/gimped cards - the difference is the AMD fanboys on here excuse AMD and bash Nvidia. You're hypocrites.
                      No, you still don't understand the point, the 7900GRE while being an awkwardly released card with questionable value was still marketed as its own card. Those variants of the GT710 and GT1030 were not. There is a massive difference, with the 7900GRE you know what you are buying into with the other 2 you don't which can affect performance in various ways. Your inability to acknowledge this difference and call anyone who doesn't agree with your mindless, poorly researched and dumb nonsense "hypocrites" is proof just how delusional and anti-AMD you truly are. You are both completely off topic and demonstrably wrong.

The comparison with the 7900GRE would be the RTX 4090 D(ragon): card for the Chinese market, cut down silicon from the flagship offer and also a somewhat distinguishable name from the card that it came from. But that isn't what is being criticized here, if you did an ounce of actual reading through the topic, specifically post 99 by oiaohm you would realize why this is a rather big deal for the GT-710M in particular, especially since both Mobile Kepler and Fermi have been EOL and see no official support anymore from Nvidia (meaning 1 group of GT710M users can use the Nouveau drivers to their full potential and the other is stuck with Nvidia's legacy drivers).

Comment

Working...
                      X