Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE Linux Performance

Last July AMD launched the Radeon RX 7900 GRE graphics card in China with a reduced Navi 31 GPU. Beginning tomorrow, 27 February, the Radeon RX 7900 GRE is being made available worldwide. Today the review embargo expires on the Radeon RX 7900 GRE for the worldwide scope and within the US will be priced around $549 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If it only had faster VRAM and Infinity Cache bandwidth… AMD made sure to cut those two things down significantly, as otherwise this card would probably get too close to the 7900XT.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
      If it only had faster VRAM and Infinity Cache bandwidth… AMD made sure to cut those two things down significantly, as otherwise this card would probably get too close to the 7900XT.
      ​
      Exactly my thoughts, probably they just wanted to re-use not fully functional navi31 dies.
      7800XT seems a more well-rounded card overall.
      Also why not RX7900? Does anybody know what GRE means? Garbage Reuse Edition? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!).

But it's not a bad card anyway.
      Last edited by sobrus; 26 February 2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
        ​
        Does anybody know what GRE means? Garbage Reuse Edition? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!).
        Golden Rabbit Edition. It was released in 2023 exclusively for China in celebration of the Year of the Rabbit.

Perhaps later this year they release a "Dragon" exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
          ​
          Exactly my thoughts, probably they just wanted to re-use not fully functional navi31 dies.
          7800XT seems a more well-rounded card overall.
          Also why not RX7900? Does anybody know what GRE means? Garbage Reuse Edition? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!).

But it's not a bad card anyway.
          I think it is really bad card.

The basic thing is, new product at MSRP points should be better than old products value wise. Now how value places? Pretty badly, it is in the same frames per dollar park as 7800XT and 7900XT. The thing is, 7800XT has same VRAM for same performance per dollar park, so in nutshell it is better product. 7900XT meanwhile has more VRAM is same performance per dollar park.

Nvidia with super releases, adressed that issue above. You have either 4070 super with better price-to-performance ratio comparing to 4070, or you have 4070ti super with more VRAM for around same price to performance ratio as product above (+made price cuts across the line). 7900GRE doesn't adress here anything.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

The basic thing is, new product at MSRP points should be better than old products value wise. Now how value places? Pretty badly, it is in the same frames per dollar park as 7800XT and 7900XT. The thing is, 7800XT has same VRAM for same performance per dollar park, so in nutshell it is better product. 7900XT meanwhile has more VRAM is same performance per dollar park.

Nvidia with super releases, adressed that issue above. You have either 4070 super with better price-to-performance ratio comparing to 4070, or you have 4070ti super with more VRAM for around same price to performance ratio as product above (+made price cuts across the line). 7900GRE doesn't adress here anything.
            You're all missing the point. This card only exists to get around the US's export restrictions to China. Those restrictions caps the performance to a named limit which I don't remember off the top of the head. Yes it sucks and it's purposely kneecapped; that's the entire point. It's supposed to be. Don't buy these cards if you live outside China. It's that simple. These are meant to be a legal way of maintaining a mainland China market presence, nothing more. No one else is expected to buy them. It's really not even expected to be a big seller even among the Chinese. Those with the means will just smuggle unfettered silicon in. Those without just won't.

Course, it's obvious the black market is alive and well with restricted goods. That's a given. Fully functional Nvidia, Intel, AMD current gen silicon aren't impossible to get in China, just a lot more expensive then they would otherwise be. That's also the point: restrictions don't make it impossible, just much more expensive to buy embargoed goods. The restrictions aren't intended to slow anything down in China, that's propaganda. Embargoes are meant to make it a lot more expensive to do the same work. Any slowdowns are incidental to the cost, but it makes for great political talking points with the naive.

Comment

It's too bad the RX 6800 wasn't available for the pool of cards to test since they can be had for ~$400 USD.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                Let's face it, it's 2024, not 2018 anymore. Everything is 200% more expensive. My Fuji camera I bought in 2020 is now more expensive USED than it was NEW. Also, new even more expensive models record worse video than this 5 year old "junk" (but it's mainly stills camera)

I paid over $1000 for my RX6800XT in early 2022 and it was "cheap", because it used to cost over $3000 in 2021. With MSRP on ~650 as far as I remember. Used cars are more expensive now than brand new back in 2018.

And both AMD and nVidia are cutting corners as much as they can, this generation is nowhere as good as it should.
                Sole fact that RX7800XT is about as good as over 3 year old RX6800XT speaks volumes.
                It should be 50% faster with 50% more VRAM at the same price as RX6800XT was. Period.
                But it isn't.

In fact, the only card that is really good is probably 4090. Over 60% faster than 3090. But look at the price...
                Last edited by sobrus; 26 February 2024, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Why not 7850? I hate these misleading namings.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasD View Post
                    Why not 7850? I hate these misleading namings.
                    They would avoid having the same model number as the Radeon HD era, wouldn't they?

Comment

Working...
                    X