Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
    Not sure if serious or just trolling, but anyway:
    This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

And that despite the fact Macs sell as premium products with prices to match.

I don't know what you are trying to say all this time (your posts are basically zero-information posts), but MacOS has gained significant market share the past 14 years or so (and the gains are even more substantial in key markets such as the US). This should clue everyone that people care about the user experience, not what the Weasels on Phoronix consider a "sad joke" (for reasons they won't reveal).

Again, I can't tell if you are serious or just trolling.
    Now look on Steam market share, because nobody cares about people who use desktops as phones just to browse the web.

Mac is also, ironically, considered "good" for artists and yet it can't run StableDiffusion properly. It's so hilarious it's actually comical.

The most pathetic platform in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Now look on Steam market share, because nobody cares about people who use desktops as phones just to browse the web.
      PC gaming is a niche. Most people will just buy a lightweight passively-cooled laptop (which btw are awesome, no noise and no need to worry about soft surfaces blocking the vents or about dust buildup) and then will buy a PS5 for their gaming stuff. This arrangement also has the advantage that kernel-level DRM like Denuvo is sealed in its own purpose-built box. Sure, there are people who will buy gaming laptops for the portability factor or build gaming rigs to get the latest and greatest in graphics, but they are a niche and the PS5's sales prove it. So... Windows may have an advantage in that niche, big deal. Also, you conveniently omitted that MacOS has its own successful App Store and most MacOS games are sold there, not from Steam.

Mac is also, ironically, considered "good" for artists and yet it can't run StableDiffusion properly. It's so hilarious it's actually comical.
      Define "properly". It's getting really tiring to have to run behind your information-free posts. StableDiffusion runs on a Mac btw. Or you are trying to tell me that building StableDiffusion rigs instead of using some online service is not a niche?

The most pathetic platform in existence.
      I am sure that Tim Cook is busy crying on top of the huge pile of cash that MacOS is generating.

This is what you people don't understand: It's about the user experience the OS delivers. Regular people value the user experience MacOS delivers and are willing to pay for it, and no amount of whining on forums about how MacOS is "the most pathetic platform in existence" will change that.
      Last edited by kurkosdr; 22 September 2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Imagine now there is no Nouveau and all we have is Nvidia drivers. Kmod or nothing. I am grateful for every night coffee marathon for keeping Nouveau running and relevant. Nvidia drivers screw up from time to time and having something to soft land the desktop is priceless.

Comment

Who gives a flying fuck about Fedora? I will never use any Red Hat garbage. That's worse than using Windows.

You're so cringe it's not even funny.

I also build Xorg myself btw, but for completely different reasons. Along with a lot of other stuff obviously.
          If it happens in Fedora, chances are very good the rest of the mainstream distros will follow.

So, if Fedora 40 (coming at the same time as Ubuntu 24.04) will stop shipping an XOrg server, chances are big Ubuntu 26.04 will not ship XOrg as a part of the distribution either. Which means Ubuntu 24.04 is likely the last XOrg release, and Debian 13, and Arch... Sorry, Arch is rolling and is already forgetting about XOrg.

So, 2030 Debian 13 will go EOL as the last distro running Xorg, what are you going to do then, run LFS?

As I've said... It's already too late. Join Wayland, or suffer in the cold, your choice. But the sooner you join the better off you will be.

Comment

Many thanks to Ben for seeing the GSP patches through, before his leave, and in general for steering nouveau through the dark age of missing reclocking firmware. I wish he could still pass down his experience with the hardware to someone new.

Maybe NVIDIA can see an opportunity now to step in and assign some developers to directly contribute to nouveau ? I am all for it if NVIDIA wants to hire me for that . I remember they somewhat tried to cooperate with nouveau before, but only to a minimum, like they never wanted to allocate any budget for that. But now with the open-source NVIDIA kernel module, maybe they have bigger plans, like they implied before they could see the NVIDIA open-source module being shared one day with the open source nouveau driver.

I hope the GSP patches get merged soon, because waiting for the stable kernel release takes so long. Since noone used them yet, I have to wonder how well the GSP patches work and how well the critical reclocking is going to work. Like, is there a reason the GSP patches are disabled by default for my RTX 2000 and RTX 3000 series cards ? I have to assume far fewer users have an RTX 4000 card, compared to users with RTX 2000 and RTX 3000 cards. So maybe RTX 2000 should be more important...

And will the new patches fix the previous error I keep getting with my RTX 3000 card "kernel rejected pushbuf", that shows up whenever I try a 3D application, either with opengl or vulkan ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
              If it happens in Fedora, chances are very good the rest of the mainstream distros will follow.
              Beyond bullshit, so addressing the rest of your post makes no sense.

I will address Arch though, since it's rolling release. You realize this just drops it from the installed session? (I mean on the crap Fedora)

On Arch you install them manually to begin with.

Comment

PC gaming is a niche. Most people will just buy a lightweight passively-cooled laptop (which btw are awesome, no noise and no need to worry about soft surfaces blocking the vents or about dust buildup) and then will buy a PS5 for their gaming stuff.
                That's not a DESKTOP.

Wait, did your "market share" link include laptops?

Absolute lost cause. Like there's no point even going on about it.

Define "properly". It's getting really tiring to have to run behind your information-free posts. StableDiffusion runs on a Mac btw. Or you are trying to tell me that building StableDiffusion rigs instead of using some online service is not a niche?
                Yeah runs on the CPU. This thread is about GPUs so...

MacOS will only go down from here. I couldn't care less about their bottom line, lol, I'm talking purely by users. Nobody cares if there's an idiot donating Apple 100 billion. Doesn't mean shit about Mac usage.

Comment

Beyond bullshit, so addressing the rest of your post makes no sense.

I will address Arch though, since it's rolling release. You realize this just drops it from the installed session? (I mean on the crap Fedora)

On Arch you install them manually to begin with.
                  Wow, your Reality Distortion Field generator is impressive. Here are some things that the Linux world at large have adopted after Fedora made it the default in their distro:

* Gnome 3
                  * mesa
                  * wayland
                  * pipewire
                  * pulseaudio
                  * dbus
                  * systemd

But yeah, let's forget all that Fedora contributed to the ecosystem at large. Fact of the matter is, if Fedora does it, the rest of the distros tend to follow. Not saying Fedora is always inventing these things - they just tend to be the earliest adopters for what will become mainstream features. But then again, past performance is not a measure for future success...

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
                    Wow, your Reality Distortion Field generator is impressive. Here are some things that the Linux world at large have adopted after Fedora made it the default in their distro:

* Gnome 3
                    * mesa
                    * wayland
                    * pipewire
                    * pulseaudio
                    * dbus
                    * systemd

But yeah, let's forget all that Fedora contributed to the ecosystem at large. Fact of the matter is, if Fedora does it, the rest of the distros tend to follow. Not saying Fedora is always inventing these things - they just tend to be the earliest adopters for what will become mainstream features. But then again, past performance is not a measure for future success...
                    I don't think you understand how installing packages works, especially on distros where you customize it yourself from the ground up, like Arch.

For peasants like you there's even "different flavors" of some distros with different environments (e.g. the top of your list, Gnome 3, is pure false in such case). But not like you can't do that on any distro.

Comment

That's not a DESKTOP.

Wait, did your "market share" link include laptops?
                      Desktops and laptops. When you click "Desktop" in statcounter stats, it shows you the OSes used on desktops and laptops (the other categories are smartphones and tablets).

Absolute lost cause. Like there's no point even going on about it.
                      English, please. What the hell are you even try to say?
                      ​​​​
                      Last edited by kurkosdr; 24 September 2023, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X