Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA VA-API Driver 0.0.9 Released With YUV444 Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA VA-API Driver 0.0.9 Released With YUV444 Support

The open-source nvidia-vaapi-driver project is an independent effort implementing the Video Acceleration API (VA-API) atop of the NVDEC interface supported by NVIDIA's proprietary driver. This VA-API-on-NVDEC implementation allows for video acceleration within Firefox and other software only targeting this open API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a case where a multi-billion dollar corporation is unable to implement VA-API support, but our hero El Farto does it instead.

Comment

See? This is something AMD doesn't have yet.

There's no 4:4:4 hardware decoding/encoding on AMD cards, even though they bumped VCE/UVD/VCN versions lots of times.

Intel and NVIDIA have it, so why not AMD?
      I know right, everyone just uses 4:2:0, but there are two use cases for 4:4:4:

- screen recording
      - production intermediates

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
        This is a case where a multi-billion dollar corporation is unable to implement VA-API support, but our hero El Farto does it instead.
        I hope he El Farto's in their general direction.

Comment

if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain

Comment

I just hope the avoid starting CUDA threads on load soon, because it inhibits initiating anonymous-namespace sandbox.

Comment

My problem with this is that decoding from cpu has lower energy usage compared to decoding from gpu: https://github.com/elFarto/nvidia-va...iver/issues/74
              Using nvdec really doesn't make sense since decoding 1080p and 1140p videos on cpu has lower energy consumption overall.

I wish Nvidia had a native vaapi support or this project were supporting vdpau instead of nvdec. I guess this is only useful if you are decoding 4k videos all the time then it makes sense to use gpu decoding in terms of saving some energy consumption.

Not the mention cpu decoding at the moment more stable than this implementation.

Comment

VulkanVideo-VAAPI may be a better solution.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  See? This is something AMD doesn't have yet.

There's no 4:4:4 hardware decoding/encoding on AMD cards, even though they bumped VCE/UVD/VCN versions lots of times.

Intel and NVIDIA have it, so why not AMD?
                  I know right, everyone just uses 4:2:0, but there are two use cases for 4:4:4:

- screen recording
                  - production intermediates
                  AMD's AMF does 8bit 444 in OBS , no clue in anything else though .

Comment

Isn't there also an implementation of VAAPI on top of VDPAU? What are the benefits of this new driver compared to the wrapper?

Comment

Working...
                    X