NVIDIA VA-API Driver 0.0.9 Released With YUV444 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

AMD's AMF does 8bit 444 in OBS , no clue in anything else though .
    On which card specifically? From what I've heard, only VCE 2.0 supports 4:4:4, and it's intra-frame only.

Comment

What's the story with AV1 VAAPI encoder for AMD by the way?

Doesn't look like it exists even for RDNA 3.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

On which card specifically? From what I've heard, only VCE 2.0 supports 4:4:4, and it's intra-frame only.
        6800xt here, Dont know if the 7xxx series has it through the AMF driver. It is intra looking in the settings.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          What's the story with AV1 VAAPI encoder for AMD by the way?

Doesn't look like it exists even for RDNA 3.
          Not seen amything regards it for an age to be frank.

/rant

Is this the only forum that don't do multi quoting ?

/rant

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
            My problem with this is that decoding from cpu has lower energy usage compared to decoding from gpu: https://github.com/elFarto/nvidia-va...iver/issues/74
            Using nvdec really doesn't make sense since decoding 1080p and 1140p videos on cpu has lower energy consumption overall.

I wish Nvidia had a native vaapi support or this project were supporting vdpau instead of nvdec. I guess this is only useful if you are decoding 4k videos all the time then it makes sense to use gpu decoding in terms of saving some energy consumption.

Not the mention cpu decoding at the moment more stable than this implementation.
            I'd guess thats because Nvidia clocked the 3000 series so aggressively :/. And also the firefox video player may not be as efficient as it could be.

My old AMD 7950 also had a weird, unecessarily high p state it would go into when decoding video. But it wasnt linux specific, and it also wasnt an issue because it wasnt a 350 Watt GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

I'd guess thats because Nvidia clocked the 3000 series so aggressively :/.
              I'm observing this behaviour with my mobile 1060 card. The problem is probably related to nvdec. Using nvdec instead of vdpau on mpv when decoding also increases overall energy consumption. So its not just firefox.

Comment

/rant

Is this the only forum that don't do multi quoting ?

/rant
                You can do the multi quoting "manually".

6800xt here, Dont know if the 7xxx series has it through the AMF driver. It is intra looking in the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
                  My problem with this is that decoding from cpu has lower energy usage compared to decoding from gpu: https://github.com/elFarto/nvidia-va...iver/issues/74
                  Using nvdec really doesn't make sense since decoding 1080p and 1140p videos on cpu has lower energy consumption overall.

I wish Nvidia had a native vaapi support or this project were supporting vdpau instead of nvdec. I guess this is only useful if you are decoding 4k videos all the time then it makes sense to use gpu decoding in terms of saving some energy consumption.

Not the mention cpu decoding at the moment more stable than this implementation.
                  Supporting VDPAU doesn't make sense nowadays as it needs a native X.org/X11 system to work. That means it doesn't work in a Waylandsession while nvdec does. So to allow GPU decoding on linux for Nvidia GPU'S in the future there must be another solution.VAAPI,nvdec or Vulkan Video would do the job.

Another problem is the missing support for both videoencoding and decoding in most linuxapps: Browsers (Webrtc), Elektron Apps etc. Also Videoencoding and decoding can cause a massive load on the CPU on lowerend (and older) Hardware. GPU offloading is very important in such a case.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post

Supporting VDPAU doesn't make sense nowadays as it needs a native X.org/X11 system to work. That means it doesn't work in a Waylandsession while nvdec does. So to allow GPU decoding on linux for Nvidia GPU'S in the future there must be another solution.VAAPI,nvdec or Vulkan Video would do the job.

Another problem is the missing support for both videoencoding and decoding in most linuxapps: Browsers (Webrtc), Elektron Apps etc. Also Videoencoding and decoding can cause a massive load on the CPU on lowerend (and older) Hardware. GPU offloading is very important in such a case.
                    You are right. Long term solution cannot be vdpau. You're also right about videoecoding.
                    At this point Nvidia should really fix their nvdec since as far as I can remember I did not observe the same increased power consumption when decoding and encoding in Windows. I don't know how they are handling their Windows video decoding and encoding but we need something like that.

Comment

Not really a bug, more a question, and probably something that should be addressed at the driver level. I just enabled hardware acceleration in firefox using this, and while it works great I'm seei...

Comment

Working...
                      X