No announcement yet.

Nouveau Lights Up The NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh wow.. another Nouveau related article, another bullshit discussion about "forcing companies to do literally anything is the end of the modern world how we know it"

Pointing out silly bugs in Nouveau would be a better time investment here imho...

Comment

I dual boot my main PC Rehat/Fedora because I have different needs at different times. If I was to stick an NVidia card in with my AMD card is there a way at boot to make one card not power on with out going into the bios? So I would like only the NVidia card with one OS and only the AMD card with the other.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        ...nobody should be force to do it. the day we lack the freedom EU will become another Soviet Union or China
        The model European Union follow, if you take attention to details, and if you have studied Soviet Union model...the model is the same!

Can you elaborate how the presidents of EU are elected?
        At least in the US( its not a complete democracy..), but they still choose in part their Federal president, a thing that we still don't do in EU...

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
          As an owner of a GTX1060 I just stopped by to say Fuck you Nvidia.
          Agree owner of a GTX 1060 6GB here,
          And no desktop acceleration, no reclock, no fan control, no accelerated encoders/decoders..
          Pascal has no support for those things, and its long time overdue for them to give support for Pascal cards..

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

...nobody should be force to do it. the day we lack the freedom EU will become another Soviet Union or China
            You can't choose a video driver, you are FORCED to use proprietary Nvidia drivers for your own money. Does that sound like the freedom to you?

Comment

I suppose one day there just simply won't be any support for nvidia in linux by default, for any currently supported or manufactured card. Nvidia are allowing the bare minimum (driving a display) to allow people to go download and install their own drivers.

You could drive a framebuffer, but no 2D acceleration, no 3D acceleration, no vulkan, openGL, CUDA, openCL, etc. It is/will be nothing more than a dollarstore VGA output dongle on a default install without the 3rd party driver.

Quite a fall for the Nouveau people, from having a performant, competitive, full openGL-capable driver with open-source firmware for the card, though none of this is their fault.

Comment

And to people who say that you can choose, it's not always like that. When I bought my card there was another mining mania and all AMD cards were out of stock.
                What to do, I just needed a video card. Now I am stuck with it but if this mining mania continues I might just sell it and use an old HD5340 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
                  You can't choose a video driver, you are FORCED to use proprietary Nvidia drivers for your own money. Does that sound like the freedom to you?
                  You surrendered your freedom when you bought an Nvidia card. That's your fault and its your problem. Nvidia's is an all-encompassing package, not just a physical PCB with a chip and a fan on it in a box. You had the freedom to not choose Nvidia, and you made a bad choice. Live with it.

The idea that we need government edicts on the matter is very alarming. Nvidia should make the correct choice because their customers demanded it, not because some tyrant and his star chamber threatened life in prison over it.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

...exactly what we have now. We don't have freedom right now in choosing GPU or driver for NVIDIA. For good open source support you are forced to use AMD (or Intel if you don't need 3D performance). For good NVIDIA support you are forced to use their proprietary driver.
                    you're not entitled nor forced to use a nvidia card. there are alternatives. just like you stated. its why i use a amd 6900 xt because amd releases open source drivers. i choose to use amd. just like someone chooses to use nvidia and their closed sourced drivers. i went out of my way and waited to get a amd card and support amd for their open source efforts.

just like i choose to use linux knowing all its faults. like lack of games that just don't work. but its my choice. i'm not entitled to every single game working on linux. nor am i entitled to every single developer supporting linux like i do. but luckily, enough games do. i have alternatives. not all the games i like may work, but enough do and i will keep encouraging more to adopt linux. but i'm not going to hold a shotgun to their head and force them to. just like i don't want a shotgun held to my head forcing me to use windows.

i understand some people get stuck with machines that either don't have great linux support or do but stuck with the likes of nvidia. but luckily you do have a way out. there are alternatives you can go to.

freedom is a two way street. not a one way. you have the freedom to open source, but you also have the freedom to keep the source closed. i prefer open source. some others don't and just want to keep the source of what they made to themselves. its up to them. i don't support nvidia because of this. i go to the alternatives that support open source instead.

this would be a different discussion if we didn't have alternatives. but luckily, we do. and with intel coming out with their own dedicated high performance cards we will have another big alternative for high performance other than amd too. there is very little reason to keep clinging onto nvidia who keeps showing they don't care about open source.
                    Last edited by middy; 18 November 2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

All of this debate over shout/shouldn't do is reminding me a little about arguments about dead video games. Like, should a company document or provide source code, or provide an EXE for a server, when they decide to shut it down for a game that requires and always-online connection?

There it's kinda (sometimes?) an artificially imposed limitation that the game needs a server, though for multiplayer then yeah the company obviously needs to run one. But the issue is more with the lack of an end-of-life plan there. People should be able to continue to use the thing they've bought for as long as they want, so the story goes.

In the case of bioshock, the installer on the CD calls out to a server at the end of installation. Nowadays that server doesn't exist anymore, but 2K released a patch to make it install without that now.

Comment

Working...
                      X