Nouveau Lights Up The NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
    All of this debate over shout/shouldn't do is reminding me a little about arguments about dead video games. Like, should a company document or provide source code, or provide an EXE for a server, when they decide to shut it down for a game that requires and always-online connection?

There it's kinda (sometimes?) an artificially imposed limitation that the game needs a server, though for multiplayer then yeah the company obviously needs to run one. But the issue is more with the lack of an end-of-life plan there. People should be able to continue to use the thing they've bought for as long as they want, so the story goes.

In the case of bioshock, the installer on the CD calls out to a server at the end of installation. Nowadays that server doesn't exist anymore, but 2K released a patch to make it install without that now.
    Yeah, and there are some who think that requiring companies to EOL products in a supportable way is what more or less makes sense. Be it some kind of network device people keep using (the security implication here is high btw) or software which the software company can just make useless on a whim.

So forcing companies do make it possible to still use EOL software/hardware by either providing source code or some other mean is imho the only sensible path forward here longterm.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      You surrendered your freedom when you bought an Nvidia card. That's your fault and its your problem.
      Nonsense. In this case, Nvidia formally violates my rights as a customer. But there are still no laws in the world that would cover this specific situation, that's why it's abused by companies.

Nvidia's is an all-encompassing package, not just a physical PCB with a chip and a fan on it in a box.
      Correct. That's why the product must also include hardware specifications and not just a physical PCB with all electronic stuff on it, so a customer can fully use the product. We don't even ask Nvidia to open-source their driver, they can legally keep the code closed as their intellectual property but everything else is essential. The lack of specifications is a real scam, which is not prevented by the law.

You had the freedom to not choose Nvidia, and you made a bad choice. Live with it.
      This freedom is limited because we are living in the world ruled by capitalism. The prime example is CUDA which is used in many applications and neural networks. OpenCL sucks and may not be supported (in 90% of the cases). So if you are involved in neural networks, Nvidia is your only option. It's not like the community can't implement CUDA for other GPUs, but Nvidia prevents it, just like with their video driver.

CUDA on AMD GPUs. Contribute to vosen/ZLUDA development by creating an account on GitHub.

The idea that we need government edicts on the matter is very alarming.

So, you want to live in the world completely controlled by monopolies like Apple, Microsoft or Nvidia? Good luck with it.

Nvidia should make the correct choice because their customers demanded it

I'm a monopolist, I don't give a damn about your wishes and demands. You'll buy my product because you are out of better options and you'll shut up about it.
      Last edited by Monsterovich; 18 November 2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
        Both AMD and Intel bug trackers are choke full of critical issues.
        Have you tried using a laptop with nVidia GPU? Obviously you haven't, otherwise you wouldn't have made this statement.

Comment

You had the freedom to not choose Nvidia, and you made a bad choice. Live with it.
          Not sure this is correct. I kept waiting for a laptop with AMD RX GPU, but that simply never came to market (other than few test-like products that you can't even put your hands on anyway). So, I eventually had to get a laptop with nVidia GPU. Looks like AMD succeeded in building dGPUs, but failed in marketing them. Let's hope Intel can do better with its upcoming Arc GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Have you tried using a laptop with nVidia GPU? Obviously you haven't, otherwise you wouldn't have made this statement.
            I agree. Nvidia driver is way more buggy than mesa open-source drivers. It works, but it works "dirty". Open-sourcing could have significantly improved Nvidia drivers, even on Windows.
            Last edited by Monsterovich; 18 November 2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
              In the case of bioshock, the installer on the CD calls out to a server at the end of installation. Nowadays that server doesn't exist anymore, but 2K released a patch to make it install without that now.
              It's funny - I never bought Bioshock because of that (well, that and the nonsense they spouted regarding widescreen support).

It turned up on GOG a while ago, so I bought it when it was on sale. $7.50 or something?

Still not played it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

It's funny - I never bought Bioshock because of that (well, that and the nonsense they spouted regarding widescreen support).

It turned up on GOG a while ago, so I bought it when it was on sale. $7.50 or something?

Still not played it yet.
                Just a FYI:
                You're missing out on one of the best games ever made!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalano View Post
                  Happy to see this even it's useless and impractical. My new laptop will have this graphics card.
                  I suspect it will only work on desktop GPUs. I don't think any NVIDIA laptop GPUs have worked for years.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

...nobody should be force to do it. the day we lack the freedom EU will become another Soviet Union or China
                    The commies are coming for your video card drivers! They're gonna force your beloved tech empires to play nice with open source! The horror! Much scary. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

...exactly what we have now. We don't have freedom right now in choosing GPU or driver for NVIDIA. For good open source support you are forced to use AMD (or Intel if you don't need 3D performance). For good NVIDIA support you are forced to use their proprietary driver.
                      Bullshit. YOU chose to use Linux, so YOU make your bed and YOU lie on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X