Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Lights Up The NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU Open-Source Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Lights Up The NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU Open-Source Support

The open-source Nouveau driver's support for the GeForce RTX 30 "Ampere" series remains very limited -- most notably, without any 3D acceleration support -- but now the GA106 GPU can light up for the GeForce RTX 3060...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish the European Union or some court would force Nvidia to provide open source drivers or something like that.

Both Intel and AMD have open source drivers, so there is no reason Nvidia cant.

Comment

Happy to see this even it's useless and impractical. My new laptop will have this graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I wish the European Union or some court would force Nvidia to provide open source drivers or something like that.

...nobody should be force to do it. the day we lack the freedom EU will become another Soviet Union or China

Comment

Originally posted by mhalano View Post
          Happy to see this even it's useless and impractical. My new laptop will have this graphics card.
          Hold to a backup of this comment and post it under the next Nvidia Wayland news.

Comment

The only ones who should "force" them to do so are the competition and their consumers, which can be hard when they have almost a monopoly on dedicated cards for notebooks and had a lot of fanboys to praise them, even their bad decisions.

As "questionable" as Nvidia can be, the state should never interfere in a private company unless they're directly doing something harmful to people / environment

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              ...nobody should be force to do it. the day we lack the freedom EU will become another Soviet Union or China
              ...exactly what we have now. We don't have freedom right now in choosing GPU or driver for NVIDIA. For good open source support you are forced to use AMD (or Intel if you don't need 3D performance). For good NVIDIA support you are forced to use their proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                As "questionable" as Nvidia can be, the state should never interfere in a private company unless they're directly doing something harmful to people / environment
                Since you mentioned the environment, I believe, at least on this, I can agree. My definition of when government should be allowed to make demands of private business is basically "whenever the company is affecting the public interest in a negative or harmful way", and leave the specifics up to the courts to decide. Here? Tho it is in the public's interest to have working APIs, clearly Nvidia is worried about... I guess competition being able to see how they do things? Somehow? It doesn't make sense, but ultimately that's not really negatively impacting the public. You're free to use their own proprietary drivers and, as much as it pains us as Open Source OS users, that's not really "harming" us.

It's just annoying us and hurting them ever so slightly.

Comment

At the most they should be forced to allow the hardware to work with open source drivers and unsigned firmware or to have to release firmware that works with any driver. Tying it to a jumper would be good enough because you just know they'll counter with some security BS. Just pull off the jumper if you want to "risk" using "unsigned Linux code" from "scary" internet people.

Frankly, all PC hardware should have to be made like that...to be put in a state so it can work with alternative drivers and operating systems if the user wants it to. Using a switch, jumper, etc takes in case shit happens liability off the manufacturer and puts it on the end-user. Everyone wins.

Comment

I think the only forceable by law part here would be disclose firmware after a period of time such that nouveau can support 3d. People will not produce more e-waste than necessary. Forceing OpenSource as "default" would be nice to some degree but i guess "free market" laws will prohibit it.
                    But before that they should implement and support FOSS Solutions in govermental Institutions.

Comment

Working...
                    X