Nouveau Lights Up The NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU Open-Source Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    At the most they should be forced to allow the hardware to work with open source drivers and unsigned firmware or to have to release firmware that works with any driver.
    Yeah, that could also be something. Sounds reasonable.

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I think the only forceable by law part here would be disclose firmware after a period of time such that nouveau can support 3d. People will not produce more e-waste than necessary. Forceing OpenSource as "default" would be nice to some degree but i guess "free market" laws will prohibit it.
    But before that they should implement and support FOSS Solutions in govermental Institutions.
    Yeah, that would be a welcome addition, to force firmware disclosure after a period of time. Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

At the most they should be forced to allow the hardware to work with open source drivers and unsigned firmware or to have to release firmware that works with any driver. Tying it to a jumper would be good enough because you just know they'll counter with some security BS. Just pull off the jumper if you want to "risk" using "unsigned Linux code" from "scary" internet people.

Frankly, all PC hardware should have to be made like that...to be put in a state so it can work with alternative drivers and operating systems if the user wants it to. Using a switch, jumper, etc takes in case shit happens liability off the manufacturer and puts it on the end-user. Everyone wins.
      Secureboot and TPM 2.0 Requirement is pointing into the wrong direction. I mean not the technology but Microsoft in charge of signing?

Comment

Oh but this is great news! (ironic)
        Now it turns on, great! Thanks Nvidia for making this possible! Mars tourism is beginning, but it is still difficult to turn on an Nvidia graphics card!
        Anyway thanks to all the Nouveau developers, who always have to do a great job because of Nvidia's stupid policy.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

...nobody should be force to do it. the day we lack the freedom EU will become another Soviet Union or China
          Enforcing a company to release further services for customers/citizen is not becoming a totalitarianism regime, it is empowering customers/citizens.

Comment

Once finally Intel Discrete GPUs will be available NVIDIA will be forced to change strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              Once finally Intel Discrete GPUs will be available NVIDIA will be forced to change strategy.
              Why? Even if there are 20 companies offering GPUs with open source drivers, why would NVIDIA care? Absolute most gamers use NVIDIA GPUs. NVIDIA has a ton of features not found in AMD/Intel drivers. NVIDIA has the fastest RTRT implementation bar none. When projecting something about companies like NVIDIA, it makes sense to remember that open source users/players are a tiny minority (1-2% at most), close to 100% of people don't give a flying .... about the open sourceness of their GPU drivers. Lastly, open source drivers mean jack shit in terms of support or quality. Both AMD and Intel bug trackers are choke full of critical issues.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

Why? Even if there are 20 companies offering GPUs with open source drivers, why would NVIDIA care? Absolute most gamers use NVIDIA GPUs. NVIDIA has a ton of features not found in AMD/Intel drivers. NVIDIA has the fastest RTRT implementation bar none. When projecting something about companies like NVIDIA, it makes sense to remember that open source users/players are a tiny minority (1-2% at most), close to 100% of people don't give a flying .... about the open sourceness of their GPU drivers. Lastly, open source drivers mean jack shit in terms of support or quality. Both AMD and Intel bug trackers are choke full of critical issues.
                Video Games are a portion of the market, computers are used to do many other things than gaming. Enterprises may decide to start replacing old hardware with computer with hardware better supported that last more since the Nvidia legacy driver have a very limited support, opensource drivers have better and longer support.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Video Games are a portion of the market, computers are used to do many other things than gaming. Enterprises may decide to start replacing old hardware with computer with hardware better supported that last more since the Nvidia legacy driver have a very limited support, opensource drivers have better and longer support.
                  Enterprise runs Windows. As for Windows NVIDIA supports their products for far longer than AMD and Intel. End of story.

Lastly Intel and AMD don't give a jack shit about older hardware "supported" by their open source drivers, so I'm not sure what particular "support" you're talking about.
                  Last edited by avem; 18 November 2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

...exactly what we have now. We don't have freedom right now in choosing GPU or driver for NVIDIA. For good open source support you are forced to use AMD (or Intel if you don't need 3D performance). For good NVIDIA support you are forced to use their proprietary driver.
                    you are not forced, you choose to use the gpu with open drivers nobody is forced to buy nvidia. I buy the gpu if I want, if I choose nvidia it's my choice. You are only forced to use something with a monopoly, not the case again.

Comment

As an owner of a GTX1060 I just stopped by to say Fuck you Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X