X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
    Old post I know, but need to correct some misinformation.

Aspire 1 SSDs have a dreadfully slow WRITE SPEED. This is the reason why this is SO BLOODY SLOW. You can grow old and die waiting for writes on these things.

That being said, the read speed is phenomenal. They boot in under 10 seconds (when configured to disable all the useless crap).
    Sounds like something you want AHCI and SATA's native command queuing with.

Leave a comment:

• lbcoder
    replied
    Originally posted by sreyan View Post
    On most modern hardware yum is probably fine.

On my aspire one (atom n270, 8GiB ssd) it took over 14 hours to upgrade from fedora 10 to rawhide. This was mid February. 14 hours is far too long to upgrade to a following release.
    Old post I know, but need to correct some misinformation.

Aspire 1 SSDs have a dreadfully slow WRITE SPEED. This is the reason why this is SO BLOODY SLOW. You can grow old and die waiting for writes on these things.

That being said, the read speed is phenomenal. They boot in under 10 seconds (when configured to disable all the useless crap).

Leave a comment:

• Ferdinand
    replied
    I now feel dumb

Originally posted by CrystalCowboy View Post
    Dual Link DVI - see for example the description at Wikipedia.

Dual Link DVI takes only one cable, but it has more pins than a single Link DVI in order to double the bandwidth.
    Thank you for explaining that in one short easy sentence. I should have thought about looking on wikipedia.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalCowboy
    replied
    Dual Link DVI - see for example the description at Wikipedia.

Dual Link DVI takes only one cable, but it has more pins than a single Link DVI in order to double the bandwidth.

Leave a comment:

• Ferdinand
    replied
    How does the dual dvi work you need for a 30" monitor? Do you have to use the 2 dvi ports on your videocard? Would that mean that you can only use 1 30" monitor or 2 24" inch monitors?

Leave a comment:

• AdamW
    replied
    To take a few points

As others have noted, the boot is slow because it's running from a live CD.

remco, multi-monitor support is mostly working well - it's RandR 1.2 - but has the same problem the intel driver had until very recently: no dynamic framebuffer resizing. Basically, as you had to with the intel driver, you have to add a Virtual line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to set the framebuffer to the correct resolution for the two monitors combined. This will be fixed in future, but sadly not yet.

Michael, as giallu says, please file a bug on the default resolution issue if you haven't already. We really need bugs to be filed to fix any problems Please include the /var/log/Xorg.0.log from the boot.

sreyan, no, at present there isn't a daily build of Rawhide live. the main problem is actually finding somewhere with space to upload one...at present we're doing one at least once a week, for test days.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Indeed, LiveUSB is insane. Not only as installation media (where it blows CDs away), but also as recovery media. I always carry an Ubuntu stick with me, just in case

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    cd is usally really slow, but in some cases you can use a usb storage media too for live mode and that gives incredible speed improvements. Also hd install from a fast usb media is often possible in less than 2 mins!

Leave a comment:

• spykes
    replied
    Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
    It looks very nice, but why on earth is booting so incredibly, insanely, slow?! Did you run the demo on some ancient hardware?
    It seems the demo is running from a Live-CD, which could explain why it's so slow...

Leave a comment:

• snogglethorpe
    replied
    It looks very nice, but why on earth is booting so incredibly, insanely, slow?! Did you run the demo on some ancient hardware?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X