Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Linux Security Developer To AMD: "Smatch" Your Driver

Phoronix: Oracle Linux Security Developer To AMD: "Smatch" Your Driver

Dan Carpenter of Oracle who is responsible for security audits of the Linux kernel is not happy with the current state of the AMDGPU DRM code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    Dang it. Does this mean no DC for Linux 4.15? (I'm not sad at all since I consider bugs)
    why would this affect dc? those are "bugs" in already landed code

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

why would this affect dc? those are "bugs" in already landed code
      No, there are a bunch in */display/dc/* as far as i can tell.

Comment

Given the number of lines of code involved, 108 _possible_ errors is not so bad; but it'd be a pain for us out here in TV land if their code was kept out of the mainline for another cycle because of it.

AMD could even turn this into a positive by demonstrating a monster multi Ryzen build machine doing kernel compiles and static analysis runs side by side between keystrokes or something

Comment

This seems like a non-issue. Things like overflow checks are typically pretty easy to add in once you find where they need to go, you just have to find someone motivated to do it. I bet somebody could fix all these in a day if they want to.

Comment

If it weren't for WebGL, I'd shrug this off with a "meh."

But now that websites could potentially "root" your machine through the GPU driver using WebGL... Eh, not so "meh" anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              This seems like a non-issue. Things like overflow checks are typically pretty easy to add in once you find where they need to go, you just have to find someone motivated to do it. I bet somebody could fix all these in a day if they want to.
              Uh huh - Heartbleed was pretty much an overflow bug - didn't check the actual length of the data that was sent - that simple bug sure caused a big ruckus.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Uh huh - Heartbleed was pretty much an overflow bug - didn't check the actual length of the data that was sent - that simple bug sure caused a big ruckus.
                Right, because no one knew it was there. I'm guessing it didn't take very many LOCs to fix it once it was found.

Comment

Not trolling, would Rust protect against these types of overflow?

Comment

It is best to fix these trivial bugs when the code is written in the first place. It is much harder to fix a bug that occur in production code, than during development. The cost of debugging is not trivial.

Of course, there are more non-trivial bugs that's let through to production, but trivial bugs should always be fixed when encountered. The root of an non-trivial bug can easily be several "trivial" bugs that should have been squashed when coding.

Defect prevention in software development involves a structured problem-solving methodology to identify, analyze and prevent the occurrence of defects. This article outlines the five general activities of a defect prevention methodology.

Comment

Working...
                    X