Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The New RadeonSI/Gallium3D Threaded Support

Phoronix: Benchmarking The New RadeonSI/Gallium3D Threaded Support

Last night well known AMD Mesa developer Marek Olsak released a new patch series threading Gallium3D's pipe_context and initially is suitable for the RadeonSI driver. Given the performance gains he mentioned in the patch series, I was anxious to try out this new Gallium3D threading capability.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work Marek.
    big gains in some places and no regressions in others.

Comment

Why are most of the tests 4k? They are more GPU bound tests. I bet the performance gains will be seen more clearly at 1080p.

Comment

I remember the other patch showed gains mainly in Aspyr ports, like Borderlands, and no gains in the other games from Feral and VP. If there is any Aspyr game covered by PTS it worth take a shot at it.

Also, you can try using a more modest CPU to see if there is some gains, Michael. Test with only one card should be enough.

Comment

The benchmarks at 4k were probably gpu bound.

Comment

Seeing as this patch is CPU-specific, I concur that 1080p or 2K would be a better test. Regardless, it is very good news to see no regressions.

Comment

Also, wouldn't it have been more useful to test this on a CPU with limited single-threaded performance? The i7-7700K is the best CPU on the market as far as single-threaded performance is considered, so it will have the least possible wins. Maybe try some Athlon II instead, or even a Bulldozer?

Comment

Or a Ryzen??? Many threads but single core not as strong as the 7700K

Comment

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post
                  Or a Ryzen??? Many threads but single core not as strong as the 7700K
                  ryzen is still pretty strong in single threaded. An older CPU would be interesting...

Comment

Thank you for these tests Michael.

Comment

Working...
                    X