Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Posts New AMD GPU Debugging Tool, Part Of Improving Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    duby229 No, I don't have X1300 anymore, I'm pretty sure that's the card I gave to KWin Martin a few years ago.
    Ah, then just test nVidia 6200 against some slowest and cheapest APU, that might lead some people to upgrade

And it would be really fine article to inspect and see how goes that nVidia's support after 12 years, i have no idea really
    Last edited by dungeon; 12 January 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's ok, the link you provided says it all clearly enough. ty.
      Oh no there's more to the story, let's see what other single slotter (The 755 with it's ls36 rev a1.0 only takes a single slot) I had hanging around in the draw, I could try this HD2400pro DX10 card, nope that wouldn't work either as that was unsupported as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        duby229

No, I don't have X1300 anymore, I'm pretty sure that's the card I gave to KWin Martin a few years ago.
        Didn't you also use to have an T60 with an ATI dgpu in the X1400 series?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

Didn't you also use to have an T60 with an ATI dgpu in the X1400 series?
          No, was too old and useless these days, sold it.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wow, this thread is certainly something.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              EDIT: The point being that there is a minimum level of performance a desktop user needs on Windows 10. Totally different story on linux btw, that x1300 series card most likely works very well with a thinner desktop like xfce out of the box straight up. (Perhaps Xubuntu or some other.)
              All that Windows 10 needs is a DirectX 9 card to work. So an x1300 should work just fine if AMD would support it. In fact, you can find videos on Youtube were people actualy get this to work, after some fiddling around.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

All that Windows 10 needs is a DirectX 9 card to work. So an x1300 should work just fine if AMD would support it. In fact, you can find videos on Youtube were people actualy get this to work, after some fiddling around.
                That's ok, I think it's neat, but it isn't the usual configuration and isn't supported. I've had multiple occasions when the intel graphics simply weren't fast enough to render the desktop comfortably and they surpassed the x1300 series in performance and capability by the first gen intel hd. I have to assume there is a good reason to cut off support for cards that simply don't meet the minimum performance and/or capability specifications.

EDIT: It's essentially a strategy to make sure the machines available to purchase will all be capable of running the OS on it comfortably. Unfortunately, because if Intel and MS the PC industry has a horrible record at that. AMD should be applauded and thanked, imo.
                Last edited by duby229; 12 January 2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

You should only think of one thing that always happens with Windows and that is that MS makes exclusive DX versions per OS versions... and AMD simply supports that exclusiveness on cards which can do that.

Windows 10 introduced DX 12, so AMD supports that... and anything else what misses that to support would be aftertought if you ask me as that wouldn't be full experience. Of course brute force attack with older cards is possible after less or more fiddling around
                  Last edited by dungeon; 13 January 2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Wow, this thread is certainly something.
                    Yeah, you never know which ones will turn into a bloody mess.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

Yeah, you never know which ones will turn into a bloody mess.
                      Even being on topic is a mess, Valve do something while that man worked at AMD for 5 years and just touched Valve... and soon after this we had response from AMD that they write their own debugger...

Basically, developers fighting who will write what and we obviosly need to see more of those fights... meanwhile Windows 10 got above 50% users on steam without fight
                      Last edited by dungeon; 13 January 2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X