Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Posts New AMD GPU Debugging Tool, Part Of Improving Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Ahh, Windows then (BSD & others are covered by the open drivers now that graphics work has ramped back up for the BSDs).

I'm not involved much with Windows drivers these days but AFAIK our approach is to support for a shorter period but do a better job of support, eg substantial ongoing performance improvements which you don't get from NVidia.

On reddit they seem to be calling this "AMD FineWine".
    You can say what you like, go look at the steam stats and how well your RX cards aren't doing again Nvidia's 10 series, that's business and AMD is in the business of selling cards I take it ? I've two boxes next to me right now for test and development purposes. One had an X1300 pro (Dell 755) in it and the other an Nvidia 8000 series, both cards of the same era. Guess which one needed a new graphics card to work with windows 10 ? Ironically the onboard Intel graphics worked and is supported on W10. The X1300 was replaced with a cheapo GT710.

I appreciate your position but for god's sake feed it up to the people in your company who do make these decisions that your driver lack of support is costing your company sales. I'd like to consider buying AMD but crap driver support stops me from making that choice. I bet your R5 230 users are really chuffed at already being put into legacy windows support, a card released in 2014.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...-Graphics.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Nope, totally wrong.

The hardware uses microcode (as does everyone else's GPU hardware), we just happen to run it from RAM rather than burning it into ROM.

The driver is totally open source.
      My error but however I refer you to my earlier post:

frankly I couldn't give a shit if it's open or closed so long as it does what it says is does on the tin.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

You can say what you like, go look at the steam stats and how well your RX cards aren't doing again Nvidia's 10 series, that's business and AMD is in the business of selling cards I take it ? I've two boxes next to me right now for test and development purposes. One had an X1300 pro (Dell 755) in it and the other an Nvidia 8000 series, both cards of the same era. Guess which one needed a new graphics card to work with windows 10 ? Ironically the onboard Intel graphics worked and is supported on W10. The X1300 was replaced with a cheapo GT710.

I appreciate your position but for god's sake feed it up to the people in your company who do make these decisions that your driver lack of support is costing your company sales. I'd like to consider buying AMD but crap driver support stops me from making that choice. I bet your R5 230 users are really chuffed at already being put into legacy windows support, a card released in 2014.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...-Graphics.aspx
        Seriously? If anyone here still has an x1300 series card, would you be willing to post benches on here to help me prove a point?

EDIT: The point being that there is a minimum level of performance a desktop user needs on Windows 10. Totally different story on linux btw, that x1300 series card most likely works very well with a thinner desktop like xfce out of the box straight up. (Perhaps Xubuntu or some other.)
        Last edited by duby229; 12 January 2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Slartifartblast
          AMD needs to win mindshare again, which they lost after their poor showing in the last two years, both in hardware and in reaction to negative reporting.
          But generally, if you ask in forums which card to buy, you get much more often told "AMD" than before.

Also the X1300 pro is a DX9 chip from the R500 generation, which is older than the 8000 series which is DX10 already. NVidia does no longer support their old DX9 chips either.

duby229
          I have an Athlon 64 2800+ with Radeon X1600 Pro at home. What are you interested in? (Windows 10 x64 won't run though as the CPU lacks CMPXCHG16b support.)
          Last edited by chithanh; 12 January 2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Or better say nvidia has no support at all. Their driver is with my computer (fresh Lubuntu installation) just not useable and they don't seem to care about my bug report at all. It randomly hangs the XServer completely. I switched to my even older but working AMD card now. (from GT 220 to Radeon HD 4550)

With OSS Drivers, the NV card is very slow, slower than the older AMD card.
            There are no closed Source AMD drivers anymore for such old cards, but that is fine as long as the OSS driver performs so good.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              [USER="79906"] if you ask in forums which card to buy, you get much more often told "AMD" than before.
              http://www.game-debate.com/news/2204...s-steam-survey

The stats show a somewhat different picture.

Note, the 755's onboard intel IGP did work with W10,
              Last edited by Slartifartblast; 12 January 2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Slartifartblast
                Which aligns with my "mindshare" comment.
                Steam survey measures installed base. So it will take some time to show up there.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Seriously? If anyone here still has an x1300 series card, would you be willing to post benches on here to help me prove a point?
                  Better do not ask for that because Michael will get idea about new article Something like "Fight of The Lowend Ancients: Does nVidia 6200 still beats ATi X1300?"

With conslusion that... opensource drivers does not improve anything, it is good only on paper and that people can talk about it
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 January 2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

duby229
                    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Better do not ask for that because Michael will get idea about new article Something like "Fight of The Lowend Ancients: Does nVidia 6200 still beats ATi X1300?"

With conslusion that... opensource drivers does not improve anything, it is good only on paper and that people can talk about it
                    No, I don't have X1300 anymore, I'm pretty sure that's the card I gave to KWin Martin a few years ago.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      Slartifartblast
                      AMD needs to win mindshare again, which they lost after their poor showing in the last two years, both in hardware and in reaction to negative reporting.
                      But generally, if you ask in forums which card to buy, you get much more often told "AMD" than before.

Also the X1300 pro is a DX9 chip from the R500 generation, which is older than the 8000 series which is DX10 already. NVidia does no longer support their old DX9 chips either.

duby229
                      I have an Athlon 64 2800+ with Radeon X1600 Pro at home. What are you interested in? (Windows 10 x64 won't run though as the CPU lacks CMPXCHG16b support.)
                      It's ok, the link you provided says it all clearly enough. ty.

Comment

Working...
                      X