Radeon Open Compute 1.3 Platform Brings Polaris & Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by extraymond View Post
    However couple days ago, Mr. Bridgman said that the next release of rocm aims to bring opencl on the all open stack.
    I don't think that's what I said (or at least not what I intended to say) - can you point me to the post ?

The next release of the ROCM stack (which started going out on Friday although docco is still being updated) is all open source other than the OpenCL binary, but it is not *the* "all-open stack" (ie the upstream one).
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't think that's what I said (or at least not what I intended to say) - can you point me to the post ?

The next release of the ROCM stack (which started going out on Friday although docco is still being updated) is all open source other than the OpenCL binary, but it is not *the* "all-open stack" (ie the upstream one).
      When I say bring opencl on the all open stack, I was really meaning on top of the all open stack. My mistake.
      I was getting this feeling that opencl on rocm has been worked out and being in house testing for awhile, so it wouldn't take long for broader adaption.
      But since it's still limited to fiji and polaris(and maybe carrizo?) then it's me interpreting your message wrongly I guess.

If I would like to try numba(which has a hsa backend) for numerical computing under python, Is it better to get a polaris or just wait a couple of weeks and things will work out on their own?

http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/la.../overview.html
      Last edited by extraymond; 19 December 2016, 02:10 PM. Reason: Add reference link for numba.

Comment

When I say bring opencl on the all open stack, I was really meaning on top of the all open stack. My mistake.
        We get the same confusion internally sometimes, don't worry. The ROCM stack is "an" open source driver stack but it's not the set of upstream components that we usually refer to as the all-open driver stack.

I was getting this feeling that opencl on rocm has been worked out and being in house testing for awhile, so it wouldn't take long for broader adaption. But since it's still limited to fiji and polaris(and maybe carrizo?) then it's me interpreting your message wrongly I guess.
        It has existed in prototype form for a while (we used it for HSA and ROCM testing) but we're just turning into a product now.

If I would like to try numba(which has a hsa backend) for numerical computing under python, Is it better to get a polaris or just wait a couple of weeks and things will work out on their own?
        What hardware do you have today ?
        Last edited by bridgman; 19 December 2016, 07:10 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

We get the same confusion internally sometimes, don't worry. The ROCM stack is "an" open source driver stack but it's not the set of upstream components that we usually refer to as the all-open driver stack.

It has existed in prototype form for a while (we used it for HSA and ROCM testing) but we're just turning into a product now.

What hardware do you have today ?

I have e3-1231-v3 as cpu and tonga as gpu.

Comment

I have e3-1231-v3 as cpu and tonga as gpu.
            I remember there being bugs on Hawaii but don't remember hearing anything about problems with Tonga, will check tomorrow.
            Test signature

Comment

I remember there being bugs on Hawaii but don't remember hearing anything about problems with Tonga, will check tomorrow.
              Thanks!!

Comment

Hi! bridgman Any updates on this?

Comment

Working...
                X