Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Driver Added To Mesa, Fresh Radeon Vulkan vs. OpenGL Benchmarks + AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentoo users: I've updated my live mesa ebuild with RADV, it's available in the gentoo-gpu overlay from layman.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
      AFAIK you usually use geometric mean on percentage differences, so e^((ln 1.1 + ln 0.6)/2) = 0.81240384, so about 19% slower … ☺

There are couple ways there, but most common is third one for example from here:

So it is what incerease/decrease tell you

Comment

Gentoo users: I've updated my live mesa ebuild with RADV, it's available in the gentoo-gpu overlay from layman.

Comment

So if you have 57 fps with one and 35 fps with a other that is 38.6% decrease

Comment

Average Joe will just say 40% and another average Joe will say - halfed

Comment

Or if you say "this one runs at 60% of another", that is second one 100/(x/y)

Comment

The article stresses the fact that AMD still did not open source their Vulkan.
                To me that is not a big problem. I would rather like to see that you can use the AMD PRO drivers (Vulkan AND OpenCL) on all Linux distributions.

I'm running my rx480 now with the open source driver, but I'm really missing OpenCL.

Comment

That is two way to look at a problem, just like percentages... I guess some wanna even use dkms driver, but with opensource UMDs

There are real two choices there, either all-open or pro like always... But there is always another one that wanna do LEGO

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                    It's quite far out of sync with what's in portage, take a look at mine in the FireBurn overlay - you'll at least need to update yours to work with llvm-9999

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      There are real two choices there, either all-open or pro like always...
                      Wrong.
                      PRO is Ubuntu only and IIRC OpenCL was "reduced" to v1.2 because these PRO drivers are just betas...
                      Unfortunately, the last Catalyst that could be adopted by many distributions hasn't seen an update for nearly a year.

TBH, I don't want a Catalyst. I'd rather see some OpenCL for the open source driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X