Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Done.
    All sudden, the issue is gone when attempting to reproduce the bug for report.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Could you report this report this upstream? The mailing list that bridgman gave should be sufficient:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/amd-gfx

I would specify this happens when updating your linux-firmware snapshot from 20160609 (gita4bbc811) to 20160816 (git7c3dfc0b), and affects kernel 4.8+ and the staging kernel branches.
      Somehow the kernel magically worked with the current linux-firmware by the time I attempted to reproduce the bug.
      After looking at your kernel.spec, I build my own for 4.8.0 with upstream patches fixing ACPI issue affecting ASUS X550Z laptop (all hotkeys function restored).
      Combining with the xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu (which needs to be updated with additional Kaveri info) and backlisting the radeon module, I can now confirm the laptop run smoother than before.
      Once amdgpu kernel module will fully incorporate SI support, I will be willing to try out the Dual double from R7 M265DX.

Comment

Mystro256 I am home for a few days. If you have any significant updates that you want to put in this week, I can test later in the week and this weekend. I did a recent Griever MESA pull and while I am not seeing any FPS improvements, I am seeing almost no artifacts. I have noticed that without VSync enabled, the open driver has terrible screen tearing. I know patches landed today to help with this. Hopefully they will be packaged up for testing shortly.

Comment

Somehow the kernel magically worked with the current linux-firmware by the time I attempted to reproduce the bug.
          After looking at your kernel.spec, I build my own for 4.8.0 with upstream patches fixing ACPI issue affecting ASUS X550Z laptop (all hotkeys function restored).
          Combining with the xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu (which needs to be updated with additional Kaveri info) and backlisting the radeon module, I can now confirm the laptop run smoother than before.
          Once amdgpu kernel module will fully incorporate SI support, I will be willing to try out the Dual double from R7 M265DX.
          I enabled SI support, it's building... I may have to cancel it because it keeps looping (it's been running for 47 hours so far and self-restarted 3 times).
          Linux 4.7.3 just came out, so I may just cancel and build that with SI support instead. I can't say SI support is complete, but it's the best that's available from AMD right now if you want to play with it.

As for xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu, I assume you mean this:

I just rebuilt mine to include that commit. I try to track the git as closely as possible, if you're looking for something pre-built and up to date. I'll probably update it until the next stable comes out.
          ​​​​
          Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
          Mystro256 I am home for a few days. If you have any significant updates that you want to put in this week, I can test later in the week and this weekend. I did a recent Griever MESA pull and while I am not seeing any FPS improvements, I am seeing almost no artifacts. I have noticed that without VSync enabled, the open driver has terrible screen tearing. I know patches landed today to help with this. Hopefully they will be packaged up for testing shortly.
          I will be updating my mesa build tonight if I have time, or tomorrow night (I want to pull in the recent performance fixes for radeonsi). The kernel, as I mentioned above, is building. I'd like to see how well that works once it finally finishes (if you have an SI card).

I'm currently looking at radv very closely to see if I can help out there. I recently found and patched a memory leak, which is something.

Comment

I enabled SI support, it's building... I may have to cancel it because it keeps looping (it's been running for 47 hours so far and self-restarted 3 times).
            Linux 4.7.3 just came out, so I may just cancel and build that with SI support instead. I can't say SI support is complete, but it's the best that's available from AMD right now if you want to play with it.
            Good to hear SI support is available for trial. Current version of kernel (4.7.2) running amdgpu with the R7 M265DX hybrid was very much a hit and miss.
            Sometimes, the system with amdgpu module fully boots to login screen and session but the suspend/resume function failed despite the use of powerplay parameter.
            It looks like the hybrid part of R7 M265DX (listed as R5 M230) refuses to load in presence of amdgpu module once radeon drive is disabled.

Yes. I am using that version you build.

Comment

Good to hear SI support is available for trial. Current version of kernel (4.7.2) running amdgpu with the R7 M265DX hybrid was very much a hit and miss.
              Sometimes, the system with amdgpu module fully boots to login screen and session but the suspend/resume function failed despite the use of powerplay parameter.
              It looks like the hybrid part of R7 M265DX (listed as R5 M230) refuses to load in presence of amdgpu module once radeon drive is disabled.
              Give 4.7.3 a shot, once it finishes building (it may take a while, i.e. sometimes up to 30 hours...):

Assuming it finishes building without issue, you run dnf update kernel --refresh with my repo enabled.
              Last edited by Mystro256; 08 September 2016, 12:14 AM.

Comment

​​​I will be updating my mesa build tonight if I have time, or tomorrow night (I want to pull in the recent performance fixes for radeonsi). The kernel, as I mentioned above, is building. I'd like to see how well that works once it finally finishes (if you have an SI card).

I'm currently looking at radv very closely to see if I can help out there. I recently found and patched a memory leak, which is something.
                I have both a M375 and a M395X, with I believe covers GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.2. So I can test both.

Comment

I gave 4.7.3-901.amd.02092016.fc24.x86_64 a shot, but ended up with a blank screen on boot. The system would not respond to ssh or ping either.

Same thing happened after unblacklisting 'radeon' in modprobe.conf (using 4.7.3-901). I've since rolled back to the 4.7.2-902 kernel.

Card is an R9 270

Thanks for all the work on this btw.

Comment

Give 4.7.3 a shot, once it finishes building (it may take a while, i.e. sometimes up to 30 hours...):

Assuming it finishes building without issue, you run dnf update kernel --refresh with my repo enabled.
                    Unfortunately, that kernel version led to a blank screen on boot with no response.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalrath View Post
                      I gave 4.7.3-901.amd.02092016.fc24.x86_64 a shot, but ended up with a blank screen on boot. The system would not respond to ssh or ping either.

Same thing happened after unblacklisting 'radeon' in modprobe.conf (using 4.7.3-901). I've since rolled back to the 4.7.2-902 kernel.

Card is an R9 270

Thanks for all the work on this btw.

Unfortunately, that kernel version led to a blank screen on boot with no response.
                      Hmm seems like amdgpu SI support still needs work. It was enabled for 4.7.2-904 and in turn 4.7.3-901. Before that it SI was using radeon instead of amdgpu for SI cards.

I'll keep updating it for the time being, hopefully SI will get better.

Comment

Working...
                      X