No announcement yet.

RADV: A Community Open-Source Effort To Get Vulkan Working On Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just fear this is gonna delay the release of the amd made Vulkan driver...

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
      I just fear this is gonna delay the release of the amd made Vulkan driver...
      I'm hoping for the opposite actually... my first thought when I heard about the project was that rather than working on solutions to replace the parts of our Vulkan stack that we can't open in their current form we could shift focus to the pieces we *can* open and work on integrating those into the project.
      Test signature

Comment

airlied Big Thank you for your ongoing efforts! I love that spirit to explore Vulkan ... "because it is there" (George Mallory)
        Please let us know if you could need some non-coder support.
        Lockheed

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Originally posted by stqn View Post
          I hadn’t realised that the FOSS AMD driver for the RX 480 didn’t have Vulkan support. That should help with choosing my next GPU…
          Meaning what? If you go for nvidia, you're not getting FOSS Vulkan support at all, if ever.
          It’s not that I want a FOSS driver (although it’s better), but the AMD blob is said to be more trouble than the FOSS driver, and I don’t feel like switching drivers depending on the application/game I want to run… And FOSS support is one of the reasons to choose AMD rather than nvidia so if you remove that the RX 480 becomes less interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I'm hoping for the opposite actually... my first thought when I heard about the project was that rather than working on solutions to replace the parts of our Vulkan stack that we can't open in their current form we could shift focus to the pieces we *can* open and work on integrating those into the project.
            That's a great idea. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you airlied and Bas, your efforts are highly appreciated! And I agree with bridgman, this would make it easier for AMD to integrate parts of their shared code into this open-source implementation. I'm glad to support AMD by buying an RX 480

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yeah, there were some raised eyebrows about the "no communication" part - Alex, Jammy and I have all talked about it.
                Is the "no communication" part referring to AMD not publishing any progress reports on their work towards an open source vulkan driver or about Dave not announcing his work earlier? Wrt to Dave, I guess
                and we decided to see where we could get.
                sums it up pretty well: They played with it and after just a few weeks they decided "Hey, this may turn into a real project" and went public. If you really wanted to know what people play with code wise you'd probably have to read #dri-devel.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  I can't agree more. I don't remember how many times I saw NVIDIA told us they were planning to "open" something.
                  we are talking about amd

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    At the current rate I wouldn't be surprised if Southern Islands gets Vulkan support first through this.
                    this uses same amdgpu which does not support si, so current rate is zero and your conclusion is strange to put it mildly
                    btw, best action to improve rate would be work on amdgpu for si, which is (surprise) open-sourced
                    Last edited by pal666; 20 July 2016, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      I hadn’t realised that the FOSS AMD driver for the RX 480 didn’t have Vulkan support. That should help with choosing my next GPU…
                      so your choice is intel gpu?
                      at some time in the past foss amd driver didn't have video decode, video encode or other stuff. now it has everything except vulkan which is not used by any app yet. what makes people think vulkan driver will have different fate ?

Comment

Working...
                      X