AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Are there any reported issues with Wayland and the PRO driver ? Should work AFAIK...
    As AMD distribute only deb packaged pro driver for Ubuntu, i would expect question should be "does it work/any issues with Mir"

It is more logical to me that some sort of let say Fedora user asking about Wayland
    Last edited by dungeon; 30 June 2016, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Yep, that's fair... I was just thinking that "maybe AMD could start supporting Wayland" implied that someone had tried it and found problems...
      Test signature

Comment

Yep, that's fair... I was just thinking that "maybe AMD could start supporting Wayland" implied that someone had tried it and found problems...
        Well i think you can encourage much more people to try, if you advertise Wayland support and support Fedora

Even without Fedora support, when you say "it should work" you are free to also advertise something like "Basic Wayland support" on driver download page, that should inform people that it should work to some extent
        Last edited by dungeon; 30 June 2016, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Are there any reported issues with Wayland and the PRO driver ? Should work AFAIK...
          Wayland compositors might work, but the Pro stack has no support for hardware acceleration of Wayland clients yet.

Comment

• Would have been nice to see a LuxMark test and more OpenCL tests in general.

Comment

Not me any more - Tim and Alvin manage the development teams and a lot of devs worked very hard to get the drivers ready; I just agitated to get Michael included in the pre-launch card seeding and helped out around the edges
              Then tell them that this is their masterpiece. I'm utterly impressed by the day one open source support and already ordered a RX480 yesterday. So a big THANK YOU to your colleagues for the hard work and especially to you for the great community support provided here. It feels like a "hotline" directly to the dev team.

Comment

• I'm just wondering what it is with the 150W TDP claim from AMD. I like the cards performance, foss drivers, features, and so on. BUT it is an absolute no go to operate a card beyond the specifications of PCIe 75W and 6pin 75W maximum power. Some reviewers measured/calculated 169W power draw! How can anyone serious about OpenCL compute performance consider the RX480 in 24/7 operations? This is quite upsetting. We were looking forward to finally have an option other then Nvidia for OpenCL compute with foss drivers and comparable performance/watt to replace some Nvidia cards.

perf/watt is in the end the only thing that matters... Even if the 1080 costs 3x more, over the course of 3 years 24/7 running, the total cost is cheaper than a 1/3 priced RX480. But now it seems like even if we were to give up 30-40% perf/watt for better foss drivers/debugging and so on, no one is gonna sell us a RX480 with the warranty we need due to its power draw beyond PCIe specification... Really annoyed! And even more so knowing that AMD is able to constrain a power hungry monster like the R9 Fury within a TDP and power limit: R9 Fury Nano! For me it seems like AMD opted to operate the Polaris 10 beyond its frequency sweet spot to have those 5-10% perf more to beat the 970 almost everywhere. Hopefully at least the RX470 will be within specifications.

Measurements on PCIe power draw can be found at e.g. golem.de, heise.de, tomshardware.com Here an overview:

http://videocardz.com/61667/what-rev...specifications
                Last edited by hugo8621; 30 June 2016, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• About that, there are already firms announcing future custom cards with a 8 pin power plug to correct the issue.

You can google sapphire nitro. Curious about the price.

EDIT: From Reddit:

We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it’s worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we’re working to get that number down to zero.
                  Last edited by Dedale; 30 June 2016, 05:14 AM.

Comment

• This looks very good. A big thank you to AMD for providing this level of performance, at this price-point, on open source drivers
                    Although I'm not going to pull the trigger until after the summer - need to see how much money I've got left over and if I might not be better off getting a 460/470. So I'm interested in benchmarks of those two, when time comes.

Comment

• Hi Yall,

gotta say good work on the review & I am impressed with the driver quality too, from the review.

kudos to Team Red!

I am waiting on Zen CPU to replace my aged but capable 8350, which is a no brainer for a Buddhist! LOL.

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X