AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    So it's as easy as that, i read that the review cards should be able to flip back and fourth between 8 and 4gb in bios but if it's that easy to do it in the drivers and it works the same then it's easier to pass that to the driver.
    You can't easely emulate on 8GB card how 4GB referent models will exactly behave, as stqn point out referent 4GB models also has slower VRAM, so, you would need to vramlimit=4096 and to cap/downclock VRAM freq too

BTW, thanks for the review Michael Next maybe RX 460 would be nice, especialy comparison to iGPUs on Intel/AMD CPU/APUs, some people seems still dreaming that integrated can do something to $99 cards
    Last edited by dungeon; 29 June 2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• I'm going to take a wild guess that because the demand all over the internet today for this card that the price has been driven up, in some cases I'm seeing $40-100 increase on top of MSRP.

I know so little about AMD these past years I don't know if I should buy a Sapphire or a XFX or even how Gigabyte or PowerCooler compare. EVGA has had my vote for so long now.

It's very possible in 30 days I'll be on a RX 480 when inventory comes back in stock. My GTX 970 is sufficient for my gaming needs and that's what's important - the RX 480 should be sufficient as well and provide the added benefits of the open driver for my 230 game library.

Red camp has turned the heat up, if their CPUs are good next year I may be all red camp this next cycle.

Comment

• ok, this defacto means no team green for me anymore. amd card with good performance, oss drivers and doesn't cost one arm, one leg, one eye and few internal organs. and wayland support otb.

if amd also opensourced vulkan as they promised... dream come true

Comment

• Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
          Props to bridgman and his horde of very talented minions!
          Not me any more - Tim and Alvin manage the development teams and a lot of devs worked very hard to get the drivers ready; I just agitated to get Michael included in the pre-launch card seeding and helped out around the edges
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            I know so little about AMD these past years I don't know if I should buy a Sapphire or a XFX or even how Gigabyte or PowerCooler compare. EVGA has had my vote for so long now.
            I think referent all looks the same and behave the same, you can even blindly choose those Now where AIBs differ is custom models, that usualy mainly differ on three points - they can make it a bit faster (fab OC), quieter (their own cooling solution) and aesthetics (whatever there).

Other than that, they can give you also some cable more, adapter more, even some game and God knows what not... for a couple $$ more
            Last edited by dungeon; 29 June 2016, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Not me any more - Tim and Alvin manage the development teams and a lot of devs worked very hard to get the drivers ready; I just agitated to get Michael included in the pre-launch card seeding and helped out around the edges
              Has the minions been replaced by chipmunks?
              Anyways great release and the state of the drivers is real good this time around.
              Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You can't easely emulate on 8GB card how 4GB referent models will exactly behave, as stqn point out referent 4GB models also has slower VRAM, so, you would need to vramlimit=4096 and to cap/downclock VRAM freq too
              I do understand that but the vbios thing is on review samples so they could test them as both 8gb and 4gb (it apply to windows as well).

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I think referent all looks the same and behave the same, you can even blindly choose those Now where AIBs differ is custom models, that usualy mainly differ on three points - they can make it a bit faster (fab OC), quieter (their own cooling solution) and aesthetics (whatever there).

Other than that, they can give you also some cable more, adapter more, even some game and God knows what not... for a couple $$ more
                I went Sapphire because the Sapphire rep was handing out free swag. I'm a cheap date...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  I do understand that but the vbios thing is on review samples so they could test them as both 8gb and 4gb (it apply to windows as well).
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac..._about/d4slz57
                  Ah OK didn't know about that, but if AMD officialy provide those and support reviewers doing that, then why not

Comment

• This looks good, but unfortunately the RX 480 is pretty far above the promised price right now. I also don't want to buy one with the reference cooler. A custom cooler and PCB with maybe an extra 6-pin, or an 8-pin for (hopefully) better overclock capability is what I'm waiting for.

Good to see the FOSS drivers doing well, I'm so sick of X.org. Maybe AMD could start supporting Wayland in the AMDGPU-PRO driver? Until then, FOSS driver it is.

Comment

• Are there any reported issues with Wayland and the PRO driver ? Should work AFAIK...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X