No announcement yet.

OpenGL Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From The Radeon HD 3850 Through R9 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Michael! Thanks for the test! Seems like you're really into GPU benchmarking atm. Do you have any updates regarding 1070 benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      Hey Michael! Thanks for the test! Seems like you're really into GPU benchmarking atm. Do you have any updates regarding 1070 benchmarks?
      I'm always into GPU benchmarking, I don't think there is a week where I am not testing.

Pascal Linux testing update: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Linux-Tomorrow
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        I'd go with one of GCN 1.2 family (285/380/380X), because of the improved geometry tessellation block.
        too large cards ... will not fit an ITX case :-)

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

Or you wait one more month and take Polaris 11 instead
          problem with drivers and unknown performance .... I am still on a 5830, so I don't need that much perf. I want a smaller/quieter/cooler card with decently working drivers ... Bonaire fits the bill perfectly. Polaris is a huge unknown ....

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post

How about Sapphire R9 380 ITX Compact? It is smaller than the majority of the HD 7790 / R7 260/360/260X cards.
            Last edited by puleglot; 03 June 2016, 08:23 AM.

Comment

problem with drivers and unknown performance .... I am still on a 5830, so I don't need that much perf. I want a smaller/quieter/cooler card with decently working drivers ... Bonaire fits the bill perfectly. Polaris is a huge unknown ....
              Polaris 11 should fit even better This is not the chip that was demoed on computex but the little brother. So it's basically what Bonaire is to Hawaii. P11 cards should come without an extra PCIe power connector and be very small. Efficiency should make a huge jump from Bonaire. Also it should have 4 GiB of VRAM making it more future proof compared to Bonaire. Price might be hot just as the one from the bigger Polaris 10. Yes, it's unknown but the probability is very high.
              Polaris is supported with the upcoming Linux 4.7 and the upcoming pro stack, for initial Vulkan and OpenCL support if you like.

I'd just recommend to wait (if you can) and take look at it, before you buy Bonaire. It's just a few weeks more to go. If it's urgent, go ahead.
              Last edited by juno; 03 June 2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Polaris 11 should fit even better This is not the chip that was demoed on computex but the little brother. So it's basically what Bonaire is to Hawaii. P11 cards should come without an extra PCIe power connector and be very small. Efficiency should make a huge jump from Bonaire. Also it should have 4 GiB of VRAM making it more future proof compared to Bonaire. Price might be hot just as the one from the bigger Polaris 10. Yes, it's unknown but the probability is very high.
                Polaris is supported with the upcoming Linux 4.7 and the upcoming pro stack, for initial Vulkan and OpenCL support if you like.

I'd just recommend to wait (if you can) and take look at it, before you buy Bonaire. It's just a few weeks more to go. If it's urgent, go ahead.
                Also the price will probably drop for the older cards.

Comment

The R9 Nano is close to a Fury but more like ITX form factor. Has a price tag, though. But a beefy little monster it is.

@thread / topic
                  Nice comparison. Still strikes me how some cards seem to perform oddly. The Fury makes a good run, fps/W may be best in most cases, but the question is does one really bring this to full use? And what do these cards consume during idle (which is most of the time on my desktop), so for a lot of things an iGPU / APU is fine for me; a few even allow moderate gaming. Most interesting would be a combination of iGPU and dGPU - but that needs some kind of display multiplexer and driver awareness.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    @thread / topicThe Fury makes a good run, fps/W may be best in most cases, but the question is does one really bring this to full use?
                    When you say "to full use" do you mean "maximum possible fps on OpenGL for the hardware and hence maximum possible perf/watt" or "do the workloads used here fully utilize the shader core" ? Separate questions but both equally common.

For the first question, no for a couple of reasons...

- running at 1920x1080 the high end cards would probably be somewhat CPU limited, particularly the tests where frame rates were up over 200 fps

- there is still a fair amount of potential improvement to be had in the OpenGL drivers - testing with Vulkan would be more relevant ATM

For the second question, no for the latest cards at least -- since we started promoting lower level and more parallel APIs the higher end GCN parts have been configured with relatively more ALUs than needed for traditional DX9-11 workloads so that as devs started switching to Vulkan & DX12 the parts would be optimally balanced for those workloads. The extra TFlops were also useful for compute workloads, of course.
                    Test signature

Comment

Also, the PCB for the one they showed was a lot shorter than the cooler that went on top of it (you could see through the fan on the cooler), so non-reference coolers might be shorter.

Comment

Working...
                      X