How AMD's Carrizo A10-8700P Compares To Intel's Core i3/i5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
    i've and apu a10 8700p... cpu's temp never reach 60° when i play. the notebook of the article reach almost 75°, isn't normale. max temp of this apu is only 90°
    furthermore on linux, carrizo cpu is better with kernel 4.3, because kernel 4.2, don't support HSA for carrizo.
    i've testet geekbench with archlinux with kernel 4.2 and with kernel 4.3, and kernel 4.3 has 1000 points more than kernel 4.2 (~3'800 vs ~4900 multicore score, and windows 10 is ~4800 multicore score).

these are resutls for:
    4.2.5 ARCH: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4254411
    4.2.5 Zen: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4223657
    Windows 10: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4255618
    4.3.0 ARCH: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4285269

(i've tested geekbench without using PC, and with balanced profile for windows, and ondemand for linux)
    Last edited by Dea1993; 13 December 2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I am mostly interested to hear how that works for you? That HP Pavilion 15 ab062nl that is Carrizo + Oland dGPU it seems... amdgpu + radeon or you use Catalyst there?

I actually have no idea what that m360 dGPU actually is? Maybe it is not Oland at all but Topaz no idea But it is probably Topaz, i really hope that amdgpu+radeon combo does not exist
      i use catalyst/crimson driver.
      the temperature are ok, now is 46° cpu and 36° HDD.
      i use only integrated gpu, amd didn't yet released a linux driver that support radeon r7 m360.
      with integrated, on linux i can play with cs:go, insurgency, dirt showdown, and other games not heavy.
      on windows, i can play well with borderlands 2, hitman absolution, crysis 2, bioshock infinite, grid 2, and a lot of other games.

i hope that in future AMD will improve a lot linux driver, so i can play well on linux, also with other games, like bioshock, borderlands 2, the witcher 2.

when i play, CPU's temperature never exceeds 55° on linux with proprietary driver (in my opinion 75° of the notebook of the article are too high for this CPU, considering that max temp for this cpu is only 90°).

the only problem that i've on linux, is a problem with keyboard (http://askubuntu.com/questions/69755...rated-keyboard).

(sorry for my english, but i'm italian)

Comment

now these are some interesting results. The improvements in both, multi and single core performance are rather significant. I wonder, why floating performance still seems quite behind windows, though.

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        28nm vs 14nm, enough said. Up your game AMD.
        Sure, because it is up to AMD that TSMC/GF (Samsung) are not able to provide their 14/16FF process as early as Intel.
        Also, seeing the results of Carrizo, I think it's quite impressive being competitive in 28nm w/o FF against Intel having the lead w/ two nodes (22->14nm) and FinFets.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

So how does your laptop then compare to these results? That would say whether there is a thermal/throttling issue or not. As unless you have the same exact laptop model as this Toshiba one, your temperature difference may be no big deal as between different laptops with the same processor it can often be quite different based upon the vendor's design, cooling, etc.
          i know that different notebooks has different temperatures, but i've only 55° on linux in full load (when i play and then i use a lot CPU and integrate GPU), and 75° of this toshiba, in my opinion are too high, for using only the integrate GPU, also if this another notebook.
          with my previous notebook (intel + nvidia) I reached 70° when i used dedicated GPU.

maybe this elevate temperature is fault of the open source driver, maybe is better using proprietary.
          i haven't tested my notebook a lot with open source driver

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Did you do benchmarking with your CPU governor set to performance? Results seem quite a bit slower than those shown here.
            It was set to ondemand. Did a quick benchmark on Xonotic with CPU governor set to performance and got an extra 3 fps, so not too much of a difference. CPU is good but hopefully the gfx drivers improve soon.
            Last edited by chimpy; 13 December 2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              now these are some interesting results. The improvements in both, multi and single core performance are rather significant. I wonder, why floating performance still seems quite behind windows, though.

Sure, because it is up to AMD that TSMC/GF (Samsung) are not able to provide their 14/16FF process as early as Intel.
              Also, seeing the results of Carrizo, I think it's quite impressive being competitive in 28nm w/o FF against Intel having the lead w/ two nodes (22->14nm) and FinFets.
              Falling behind in lithography isn't Intel's problem, it's AMD's

Still lousy single core performance and still lousy performance per watt. What AMD does in four cores, Intel can do in two.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Falling behind in lithography isn't Intel's problem, it's AMD's

Still lousy single core performance and still lousy performance per watt. What AMD does in four cores, Intel can do in two.
                Completely different architectures. You're comparing apples to oranges. AMD's cores were designed for higher threadability, not for brute-forcing performance in a single core.

Comment

Originally posted by extraymond View Post

No way it's gonna be 1.3 pounds, 1080p and 12gb ram....
                  This can't be true....
                  It is true indeed. The only downside is that HP has cheaped out on the battery, as they always do with AMD laptops. I just don't really see why laptops are given batteries that are, effectively, the equivalent of a single lithium AA battery (2400 mAh), and there's no options for upgrading batteries to something more reasonable, like 8000 mAh.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Completely different architectures. You're comparing apples to oranges. AMD's cores were designed for higher threadability, not for brute-forcing performance in a single core.
                    "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"

You don't see AMD chips going in servers, pretty threaded application wouldn't you say ?

Comment

Finally Lenova makes a Carrizo widely available in the US.

Comment

Working...
                      X