How AMD's Carrizo A10-8700P Compares To Intel's Core i3/i5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    Carrizo would be a good platform, actually. A pity there are no good laptops on the market. Maybe the situation will improve with the refresh (bristol ridge), bringing also a new platform w/ ddr4. The increase of memory bandwidth should definitely help the gpu part.
    There actually are good laptops with it on the market on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15...dp/B015QICS8W/
    Last edited by mmstick; 11 December 2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Just that I understand it: If the results of these benchmarks are not influenced by throttling and Intel's GPUs are really competitive to AMD's GPUs in this segment, is there any reason to buy AMD anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
        Just that I understand it: If the results of these benchmarks are not influenced by throttling and Intel's GPUs are really competitive to AMD's GPUs in this segment, is there any reason to buy AMD anymore?
        Yes, for example HSA. Remember how that turn out last time when AMD did this fifteen years ago? We're all using amd64 by now

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
          I'd be more concerned about the quality of the drivers for the GPU! Thermal throttling is of course a real potential issue but is also why we really need to see spreads done on desktop systems. Let's face it laptops are not the place to go for un throttled performance numbers.

Comment

People need to keep in mind that the amdgpu driver is young, and undoubtedly has room for performance improvements. AMD will be working mostly on amdgpu in the future (as apposed to the older driver stack) ....so if you're looking forward the future is good for Carrizo and the chips to follow.

Comment

Yup, thats roughly the results I got, but I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and the Catalyst drivers.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                Yup, thats roughly the results I got, but I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and the Catalyst drivers.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Did you do benchmarking with your CPU governor set to performance? Results seem quite a bit slower than those shown here.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

But you do realise, that this one is a refurbished laptop? Also, 12 GiB RAM -> no dual channel, with an APU?
                  But you are right, some of the HP laptops (EliteBooks) are actually alright. Only quite expensive and hard to get (as every carrizo device) in Europe...
                  As already said, I hope the device manufacturers will bring some interesting devices at the beginning of next year, with BR and DDR4
                  Last edited by juno; 12 December 2015, 05:41 AM.

Comment

28nm vs 14nm, enough said. Up your game AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

No way it's gonna be 1.3 pounds, 1080p and 12gb ram....
                      This can't be true....

Comment

Working...
                      X