ARB_copy_image Support Lands For AMD RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    I think Vulkan goes on Catalyst and Nvidia driver everywhere even on Windowz and Mac.
    Not on Mac. Thing is that Vulkan would not be available on Windows too, but MS is big enough with DX strong enough to not care

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Not on Mac. Thing is that Vulkan would not be available on Windows too, but MS is big enough with DX strong enough to not care
      According to Dan Ginsburg from Valve, Vulkan is the right way forward and there's not much reason for developers to create a DX12 backend.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
        You mean over three years after Nvidia. This feature was initially designed by Nvidia.
        no, he means real linux driver for nvidia hardware called nouveau

Comment

You mean all those Win7 machines will support DX12? Didnt hear about that.
          Yes there are people not happy with Win10 and they wish to stay on Win7.
          I am guessing there are far more Win7 machines than Win10.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post

You mean all those Win7 machines will support DX12? Didnt hear about that.
            Yes there are people not happy with Win10 and they wish to stay on Win7.
            I am guessing there are far more Win7 machines than Win10.
            I didn't hear that Microsoft said anywhere how D3D12 games must be released with Vulkan renderer too. So people who wants to stay with 6 year old OS and have new hardware (which is something that sound weird to me) should be aware of that - that Vulkan is not exact replacement for DX12.

But if you like to spoke over current Windows reallity then yeah we can conclude how currently there are more games which uses AMD Mantle then DirectX12 and Vulkan together
            Last edited by dungeon; 30 October 2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

But if you like to spoke over current Windows reallity then yeah we can conclude how currently there are more games which uses AMD Mantle then DirectX12 and Vulkan together
              Granted Vulkan specs aren't even public so far and there're no drivers supporting it yet, except couple of tech demos like one from Imagination... it's not surprising to say the least.

Comment

dungeon

Of course a game that will only run on Windows 10 does not need Vulkan, but how many games are now released just for one plattform? Vulkan is very interesting for every mobile device that could get it with a system update, maybe Android 7 recommends it. Linux alone as plattform with Vulkan support would be pretty much useless, that's correct, but you should think in a bigger way. Maybe PS4 could use it too and then there would be a much bigger userbase. Usually Windows graphic driver updates ship everything, not only DX, but OpenGL and later of course Vulkan. Did you ever need to install an OpenGL driver for Windows? Games like Rage require it...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  dungeon

Of course a game that will only run on Windows 10 does not need Vulkan, but how many games are now released just for one plattform?
                  Numbers i don't have but i am sure those Windows only games are far more then Mantle games, which in turn currently have more then DX12/Vulkan.

Vulkan is very interesting for every mobile device that could get it with a system update, maybe Android 7 recommends it. Linux alone as plattform with Vulkan support would be pretty much useless, that's correct, but you should think in a bigger way. Maybe PS4 could use it too and then there would be a much bigger userbase.
                  Of course when we spoke about DX12 and Vulkan 1.0 we talk about future only (or about territory of unknown as i even heard rumor recently how Vulkan API should be rewritten ), so no one knows how much those APIs versions will be used actually... DX10/DX11 were also fine on release and were used, but no where near as DX9 for example... currently even OpenGL in whole might go beyond DX10/D11 in popularity.

Usually Windows graphic driver updates ship everything, not only DX, but OpenGL and later of course Vulkan. Did you ever need to install an OpenGL driver for Windows? Games like Rage require it...
                  There is a reason AMD driver is called Radeon (Catalyst) Software (Suite), it ship as much as it needed and as much as is needed to not so much users complain

But users will complain forever, as many Windows users likely think that Radeon Software GUI is what driver is
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 November 2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X