AMD Catalyst 15.9 Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You do make a good point about firmware, it exposes hardware in a way that can be used. Is it hardware? No, it isn't. Does it make hardware usable? Yes, it does. So IMO there is nothing wrong with it. I would like to see open source firmware replacements, but I'm not holding my breath for it. Reality is that very soon amdgpu will become the kernel driver for both catalyst and the OSS driver so in the very near future hardware support will come at the same time for both drivers. That's what reality is.
    And with amdgpu things are fine for you, you recommend both of them... just like now me or AMD itself?

Future is not reality. Future is now. Reality is now. Double speed in CS:GO

Comment

I'll make up my opinion about it as soon as I see it in action. Until then all I can say is wait.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I'll make up my opinion about it as soon as I see it in action. Until then all I can say is wait.
        Yeah there will be probably videos from XDC on the matter Alex and Jammy i think... i might watch that after fast Catalyst fraging in CS:GO

People should buy any cards from AMD there is no problem, use Catalyst or opensource drivers - your preference.

I don't expect any miracles from amdgpu just union.

Micheal just write article for you, so you can rumble around on why some things are still closed source

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...pu-xdc15&num=1
        Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah there will be probably videos from XDC on the matter Alex and Jammy i think... i might watch that after fast Catalyst fraging in CS:GO

People should buy any cards from AMD there is no problem, use Catalyst or opensource drivers - your preference.

I don't expect any miracles from amdgpu just union.
          At minimum it'll fix most of the problems people experience with the current Catalyst. The slow laggyness, the glitching, the video decoder, and so on. The only parts that will be closed source is likely to be the OpenGL, OpenCL and probably Vulkan. The rest will be OSS which provides a decent desktop experience, so I'm expecting it to at least be usable. Maybe I'm hoping too much, I hope it works as well as I hope. There is a lot of hope in that statement, lets hope the hope works.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            If i am a gamer and wanna AMD hardware and then listen your recommendation i can't buy anything from AMD
            It's pretty simple.

First I'd recommend using Windows. You'll have a better gaming experience on either vendor on Windows, if for no other reason than more games are supported there.

Second, if you insist on running linux, I'd recommend switching to a NVidia card.

Third, if you still insist on running AMD cards on linux, I'd recommend the r9 290. On linux it runs just as fast as any of the newer cards since the driver is CPU limited, and it's better supported since it's been out for a while. I'd also let you know that I don't recommend such a setup for any gamer, and will tell you "I told you so" anytime you report any problems to me.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 17 September 2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

It's pretty simple.

First I'd recommend using Windows.
              If you first recommend using Windows, that is end of story. Why not Playstation then

Second, if you insist on running linux, I'd recommend switching to a NVidia card.

Third, if you still insist on running AMD cards on linux, I'd recommend the r9 290. On linux it runs just as fast as any of the newer cards since the driver is CPU limited, and it's better supported since it's been out for a while. I'd also let you know that I don't recommend such a setup for any gamer, and will tell you "I told you so" anytime you report any problems to me.
              OK, those are more on the matter here... For a first/second i recommend Catalyst driver and for the second/first i recommend opensource drivers - who will we be second or who will be first is your choice

And third, Catalyst is not CPU limited some games are, but you got fixes via game profiles only . As OpenGL for the drivers is not even designed to be threaded in the first place, those are all mostly hacks (if they happen to work) on any driver nvidia driver ińcluded.
              Last edited by dungeon; 18 September 2015, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                First I'd recommend using Windows. You'll have a better gaming experience on either vendor on Windows
                This video's focus for the benchmark and review are solely on the performance of Nvidia's driver with the native versions of Dota 2 Reborn on Ubuntu and Wind...

This video's focus for the benchmark and review are solely on the performance of AMD's driver with the native versions of Dota 2 Reborn on Ubuntu and Windows...

Comment

now I can prefer radeonsi rather than catalyst
                  Meanwhile, the difference is no longer so big :lol

4.2.0-gentoo-r1 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU/Powercolor r9 290pcs+

Metro last light redux
                  Code:
                  Mesa 11        
                  min_fps 0.00
                  max_fps 166.67
                  aver_fps 61.13
                  Code:
                  Amd 15.9
                  min_fps 0.00
                  max_fps 200.00
                  aver_fps 76.34
                  Unigine Valley
                  Code:
                  Mesa 11
                  FPS:48.1
                  Score:2013
                  Min FPS:25.2
                  Max FPS:87.8
                  Code:
                  Amd 15.9
                  FPS:44.1
                  Score:1845
                  Min FPS:23.9
                  Max FPS:96.2

Comment

Just tried Elemental demo and found that it is probably not the best representation for this engine (UE4 ?). Still would like to have more UE3 results (Borderlands 2 is based on this). Not sure how much effort is needed for these, though.

Last time I've tried they were not easily automated.

Comment

Hi all

Just wanted to give a big applause to AMD on this driver. I haven't used catalyst since 14.12 since my old card (r9 290) works good under OSS drivers. But this weekend I actually won a Fury Nano card in a lottery at a local mall. So I installed it at home in my Linux mint computer and thought that I could use it for OpenCL 2.0 experimentation, but I was very pleasantly surprised over.

First of all, the installation was actually very smooth, I just downloaded the .deb files. Looked at the instructions too see the dependencies needed and installed them and the packages and everything worked. I have never had such easy installation of AMD gpu drivers.

The next thing was the desktop. Catalyst 15.9 and cinnamon + Fury Nano works great. I have no tearing whatsoever and every video play very smoothly. I have been using the desktop a couple of days now and I actually think it feels more smooth than my other computer with Nvidia and KDE. I need to install cinnamon on that too to compare them.

Third and last the gaming performance... All games I currently play (CS:GO, Dota2, Cities Skylines, TF2) are running very smotthly. I maxed out all of them and and had no lag whatsoever. I haven't looked at the fps but I am very happy.

And given that the card is very small and not very power hungry, I am a very happy man.

Just my 2 cents /Vein

Comment

Working...
                      X