AMD Catalyst 15.9 Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    You don't recommend Fiji, Tonga and Grenada... those are all available in market, all top recommended right now. So what do you recommends gamer to buy?

If i am a gamer and wanna AMD hardware and then listen your recommendation i can't buy anything from AMD
    Why do I have to repeat myself? If you are gamer then R9 280x is still the best option if you buy today. That's because the first gen GCN hardware is performing the best right now. I expect that to change soon once the next round of stable releases happen. At which point the second gen GCN hardware should performing much better.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Why do I have to repeat myself? If you are gamer then R9 280x is still the best option if you buy today.
      That is one GCN 1.0 hardware, four years old arch and previous wafer (let alone that GCN 1.0 was really buggy for more then a year with opensource driver (before that it does not worked at all), but not GCN 1.1 - only recently Marek fixed it)... *Today* if someone wants to buy brand new gamer AMD cards, those are all that you don't recommend

And why? Because you deeply believed in opensource driver exclusively, AMD can't sell anything on this market
      Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

That is one GCN 1.0 hardware, four years old arch and previous wafer... Today if somone wants to buy brand new gamer AMD cards, those are all that you don't recommend

And why? Because you deeply believed in opensource driver exclusively, AMD can't sell anything on this market
        AMD doesn't sell anything to you. They sell to graphics card manufacturers. Your trying to make an argument that doesn't work. selling an R9 280x is a sale. I'm sure every one sold is welcome to the retailer or the wholesaler that sold it. And when they restock they can do so with newer models. There are still brand new 6870's still sealed in the box available for sale on ebay, and yes I still recommend those too.
        Last edited by duby229; 17 September 2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

AMD doesn't sell anything to you.
          AMD sell double speed in CS:GO with Catalyst 15.9 Gamers does not gonna wait, wanna frag now Do you understand that? It seems you don't.

They sell to graphics card manufacturers. Your trying to make an argument that doesn't work. selling an R9 280x is a sale. I'm sure every one sold is welcome to the retailer or the wholesaler that sold it. And when they restock they can do so with newer models.
          Point is that you don't recommend anything potentional linux gamer wanna buy now... that is where you are completely wrong
          Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Let's not forget about Vulkan that will probably make nVidia's proprietary driver "secrete sauce" irrelevant, as hopefully that fglrx vs. mesa battles.

Comment

AMD sell double speed in CS:GO with Catalyst 15.9 Gamers does not gonna wait, wanna frag now Do you understand that? It seems you don't.

Point is that you don't recommend anything potentional linux gamer wanna buy now... that is where you are completely wrong
              As a gamer myself, I always buy hardware with working drivers so that I can game. So gamers like me should buy the highest end hardware they can that have good OSS drivers. Right now that is r9 280x, and will soon be one of the Hawaii derivatives after the next round of stable releases happen. That's not exactly old. Hell even some of the R9 3xx cards are first and second gen. Performance is good enough to game on and enjoy doing so.

Comment

As a gamer myself, I always buy hardware with working drivers so that I can game.
                So Catalyst have working drivers for Tonga for a year now, while opensource driver does not.

So gamers like me should buy the highest end hardware they can that have good OSS drivers.
                OSS seems your exclusive preference, for some people that is not enough.

Right now that is r9 280x, and will soon be one of the Hawaii derivatives after the next round of stable releases happen.
                That is only your opinion, other people (and with different hardware) think differently.

That's not exactly old.
                You know "It is not old, it is not new".

Hell even some of the R9 3xx cards are first and second gen.
                Most of them, but you have also one third gen there.

Performance is good enough to game on and enjoy doing so.
                Your preference, be free and let people to use what they want.
                Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

So Catalyst have working drivers for Tonga for a year now, while opensource driver does not.
                  OSS seems your exclusive preference, for some people that is not enough.
                  That is only your opinion, other people (and with different hardware) think differently.
                  You know "It is not old, it is not new".
                  Most of them, but you have also one third gen there.
                  Your preference, be free and let people to use what they want.
                  Catalyst is not free. AMD has to waste time and money on it. It's not free as in freedom either, you can't contribute at all. It has no redeeming value at all. None.

Catalyst may work on Tonga where the OSS drivers don't yet, that's true, so don't buy Tonga yet. Problem solved. Done.
                  Last edited by duby229; 17 September 2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Catalyst is not free.
                    Radeon driver is also not usable as free, on Debian i must enable non-free repo for firmwares and to install them or Catalyst So you see, for average people out there it is matter of enabling repo to made working anything from AMD

AMD has to waste time and money on it.
                    They don't loose any time, what do you think they doing... they designed third gen probably more then 2-3 years ago and made Catalyst driver for that in the same time... and that one is something you still don't recommend because your preference is opensource driver I agree opensource driver is good enough after it is maded/tested/proved, but your thinking is not exactly in line with reality - it came much later.

It's not free as in freedom either, you can't contribute at all. It has no redeeming value at all. None.
                    Working Tonga, Fiji, many other in driver properness and optimizations is nothing for you? There is value in it, of course if your value is only something you must see code of it, then i guess you also play only exclusively opensource games?

Catalyst may work on Tonga where the OSS drivers don't yet, that's true, so don't buy Tonga yet. Problem solved. Done.
                    That is where Catalyst came in - you have working hardware on day one and can recommend anything AMD have currently on market

So your recommendation is based on opensource driver, but you don't recommend R9 390... i don't really know what logic is that
                    Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Radeon driver is also not usable as free, on Debian i must enable non-free repo for firmwares and to install them or Catalyst So you see, for average people out there it is matter of enabling repo to made working anything from AMD

They don't loose any time, what do you think they doing... they designed third gen probably more then 2-3 years ago and made Catalyst driver for that in the same time... and that one is something you still don't recommend because your preference is opensource driver I agree opensource driver is good enough, but your thinking is not exactly in line with reality.

Working Tonga, Fiji, many other in driver properness and optimizations is nothing for you? There is value in it, of course if your value is only something you must see, then i guess you also play only exclusively opensource games?
                      You do make a good point about firmware, it exposes hardware in a way that can be used. Is it hardware? No, it isn't. Does it make hardware usable? Yes, it does. So IMO there is nothing wrong with it. I would like to see open source firmware replacements, but I'm not holding my breath for it. Reality is that very soon amdgpu will become the kernel driver for both catalyst and the OSS driver so in the very near future hardware support will come at the same time for both drivers. That's what reality is.

Comment

Working...
                      X