• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    OK and what you should recommend for Tonga
    That's easy. Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      That's easy. Windows.
      OK, that is a bit incorrect answer because Windows is OS and does not made you drivers... correct answer is: AMD Catalyst in any case

When it cames to Windows i was interested to see what Windows people have to say on this point that AMD released 15.9 driver on Linux first, which is pretty good to note (Michael should write article about this happening ). Couple comments from various sites:

- *strictly linux*

- But i also got surprised that AMD released the linux driver before the windows driver.

- So, the Windows version shouldn't be that far off...

etc...
      Last edited by dungeon; 16 September 2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's nice having open development, trolls can always find bug reports to bitch about. Too bad Catalyst will never be so open. In fact if you file a bug report to them it will go completely ignored.

That's BS.
        Nice conjecture, backed up by nothing. If you actually work within the Dev Community on AMD's Dev Forums, show them actual results they are quite active and appreciative of your feedback, and fix the bugs.

Comment

OK, that is a bit incorrect answer because Windows is OS and does not made you drivers... correct answer is: AMD Catalyst in any case

When it cames to Windows i was interested to see what Windows people have to say on this point that AMD released 15.9 driver on Linux first, which is pretty good to note (Michael should write article about this happening ). Couple comments from various sites:

Well, they definitely doing something like this not for the first time. I remember that for 2011 year there was only one Catalyst version for my laptop - 8.836 from Acer web-site. Upstream Catalyst releases just doesn't get installed on Windows with unsupported hardware error. At the same time in Linux I was able to just use upstream fglrx releases, without messages about incompatible hardware and such stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Nice conjecture, backed up by nothing. If you actually work within the Dev Community on AMD's Dev Forums, show them actual results they are quite active and appreciative of your feedback, and fix the bugs.
            I admit it's been a long time since I even bothered trying. Maybe now they're more active then they used to be. Years ago I did try and never got a single response. Maybe they've finally got it understood that they need to interact with their userbase.
            Last edited by duby229; 17 September 2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

OK and what you should recommend for Tonga,
              Don't buy Tonga until it's well supported. It isn't there yet in stable distro's. That's common sense. Buy hardware with good drivers. If you don't bother looking first then it's your own fault. It's how linux has been for decades. It's not new.

Comment

I am using amdgpu here, R9 285 everything works just no reclocking yet and some X restarts when many videos are played at the same time with an error like
                Code:
                amdgpu: can't schedule ib...
                Now for Catalyst...
                Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.19)
                unbelievable!! They must be doing it on purpose don't know what to say anymore... Maybe the developer of Linux Catalyst driver is an Nvidia employee!
                At the distros section opensuse 13.2 is mentioned nowhere although all Catalysts that support Xserver 1,16 and up work there and the opensuse 13.1 the page mentions is like 2 years old...
                On second thought I believe that he is definately an Nvidia employee!
                Last edited by djdoo; 17 September 2015, 08:07 AM.

Comment

no artifact and 2X faster loading in Left 4 Dead 2

Comment

Someone did CS:GO Catalyst 15.9 vs Mesa 11 video on Radeon R9 390:
                    Binary drivers have always been the best option when you're talking about the latest GPUs.
                    Last edited by profoundWHALE; 17 September 2015, 12:56 PM. Reason: a word

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Don't buy Tonga until it's well supported. It isn't there yet in stable distro's. That's common sense. Buy hardware with good drivers. If you don't bother looking first then it's your own fault. It's how linux has been for decades. It's not new.
                      AMD should read this, understand it right and just make more Catalyst Tonga is released year ago, so telling people to not buy product just because opensource driver is not there yet for gaming is not good for the bussiness point of view.

I know for linux opensource driver practice, but if linux starts to enlarged its gaming market (and that happen with steam games for example) then really they should make Catalyst top notch and they do it Tonga is supported with Catalyst whole time.

Compare that to nVidia hardware, Linux people buy that just because of nvidia driver (OK, maybe someone bought new nvidia hardware to make sure modesetting with no accel work ) Do you have any nVidia hardware to not recommend
                      Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X