No announcement yet.

AMD's Catalyst 15.9 Now Available For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I play Pirates, Vikings & Knights 2 on Steam, after updating to 15.9 from fglrx 15.20.2(Ubuntu 15.04 rep fglrx-updates), I have big fps boost in this game. For example in one place i had 40-50 fps, now i have 70-80.

Comment

Is there any information anywhere what the "profiles" are actually doing? Are there people who reverse engineer them? Would it be interesting for other driver developers what they do or are they too driver specific?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Ya the latest game update has moved everybody onto Source2. So the openGL implementation is better.

native support for OpenGL without needing a wrapper, improving performance, memory usage and loading times on other (non-windows) platforms.
        http://www.dota2.com/reborn/part3
        Impressive work from Valve, I can now run the game with all options ON in full HD at 100 fps !

Differents little bug like bad gamma are fixed too.

GG Valve !

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Impressive work from Valve, I can now run the game with all options ON in full HD at 100 fps !

Differents little bug like bad gamma are fixed too.

GG Valve !
          What's your GPU?

Comment

For clarity, the suggestion was to remove code which was used for development a year ago then disabled and unmaintained (CIK in amdgpu). The radeon driver contains recommended and supported code for CIK. I don't think we will actually remove it but somehow we need to get the messaging sufficiently clear that people aren't enabling CIK amdgpu and expecting it to be "better" than radeon.

Probably more correct to say "one more reason to stay with the recommended open source drivers for serious use".
            Test signature

Comment

Maybe you can say in CONFIG description something like "developer only"

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                What does it help if oss developers can not even find bios in Kaveri Apus.
                That is how should be when something is marked for "experimentation and testing". If it works - fine, if does not - again fine.

If you use Catalyst, to me that is fine too... i use it too now, just fired up +25% in Xonotic with profile
                Last edited by dungeon; 29 September 2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

For clarity, according to phoronix news, Amd will move Catalyst to use amdgpu. How your oss freaks plans fits to this? Are you blocking all commercial drivers;-) Now when linux is getting more gamers, do you really belive that you can do better drives than nvidia or amd?
                  Um, for clarity I work for AMD as do most of the amdgpu open- and closed-source developers.

Very few people plays with oos drviers, see you tube videos, its hard to find oss gamers.
                  Not what I'm seeing, although you can certainly find both on youtube.

Blocking commercial display drivers is already happening in kernel 4.2 and onwards, a lot of kernel functions that display drivers have used are now flagged as GPL and MTRR is hidden so that Catalyst can not initalize alltough it has PAT support.
                  It's been happening for a lot longer than that. Big pain for closed source stacks.
                  Test signature

Comment

Clearly amd has too many programmers and testers for their drivers;-) Nvidia 355 installs to 4.1 kernel without patching while Catalyst 201 not.
                    And how much that hurts you when you use Debian? Catalyst 15.9 in Debian is patched, tested and works with kernels up to the 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                      Can't you just change the profiles?
                      I used to do that when enabling games for crossfire back in the time I had a HD4890 crossfire setup.
                      It is an xml file, where you can add applications.

Ah used to be... now it is /etc/ati/atiapfxx.blb .
                      So it is a binary now. And if I strings -a it, I think the names are hashed now.
                      I missed this... renaming is probably easier , but yeah you can make and edit xml file too, but then just convert it to blb file with atiapfxx utility.
                      Last edited by dungeon; 08 October 2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X