Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Graphics: The Latest Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Moves On To Smacking Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSS drivers are definitely very nice to have - "current" distros can ship them directly, but lets say you want to support Broadwell/Skylake with Debian 8 - then it would be possible without an LLVM update, if you want to update the stack with OpenGL 4 support for Gallium drivers it definitely gets complicated. I would appreciate an official mesa backport Debian repo - kernel updates are really easy compared to that. One user complains about stability issues with Broadwell (on latest Kubuntu), i can not confirm nor deny it - no idea if the problem is the gfx stack or the new KDE. Binary drivers are very easy to use compared to that - it just depends on view.

Comment

Sweet Radeon drivers!

I wish I didn't have dGPU power management issues on my laptop...

Now let's port Mesa/Gallium drivers to Windows and get rid of Catalyst

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        @bridgman Forgot to say what i see actually, yeah only what i see that Valley is slower by 10% if i uncheck Catalyst A.I.. So yes radeonsi is faster by 5% if that is disabled, but 5% slower if that is enabled Catalyst 15.7

Nothing like 20%-40% faster is there, with all default for both radeonsi is 5% slower.
        Yeah, I don't think we were expecting "faster" at this point (at least not to this extent), but it's great to see fresh benchmarks with latest code.

Test signature

Comment

R9 285 here AMDGPU driver all gits from Pontostroy for opensuse(Mesa, Kernel 4.2.0, etc) most problems I had about restarting X are gone, all 3D apps are working including Unigine benches, Xv Glamor Textured video is not supporting YUV to RGB, VDPAU is working with interop ext., to give you a description with 2 words: All working but engine runs at the lowest revs so even VDPAU decoding lags...
          Also about the results here, don't forget that Catalyst 15.7 is significally faster for newer cards than the one used to the testing procedure, at least for my card when I used it I saw almost 30% higher 3D performance in Valley than previous driver.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
            R9 285 here AMDGPU driver all gits from Pontostroy for opensuse(Mesa, Kernel 4.2.0, etc) most problems I had about restarting X are gone, all 3D apps are working including Unigine benches, Xv Glamor Textured video is not supporting YUV to RGB, VDPAU is working with interop ext., to give you a description with 2 words: All working but engine runs at the lowest revs so even VDPAU decoding lags...
            Also about the results here, don't forget that Catalyst 15.7 is significally faster for newer cards than the one used to the testing procedure, at least for my card when I used it I saw almost 30% higher 3D performance in Valley than previous driver.
            Which is why when you buy hardware you should choose based on what already has working drivers.

Comment

I like investing on new technology! And I knew amdgpu was in the oven for the Volcanic Islands and now we are using it, just some time more for dpm...

Comment

No csgo benchmarks. :/

Like the R7 370 my HD 7970M struggles to get ~60 fps in csgo. The unigine valley results looked so good here, I tried it too (on the "Extreme HD" preset) with latest mesa git.
                Code:
                FPS: [B]20.3[/B]
                Score: [B]848[/B]
                Min FPS: [B]12.1[/B]
                Max FPS: [B]37.9[/B]
                Wow. Is the R7 370 3x faster than the HD 7970M? Sure, old laptop vs new discrete, but it's still both pitcairn...

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  The benchmarks just don't work without drirc.
                  Actually, I checked and I always had a good drirc in /etc/drirc (since I use make install for installing mesa after compiling). This is why Unigine has always worked for me. I just wasn't aware on this file in /etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Victor Vran works on radeonsi, i played it but don't hit any crashing bugs... On which level, which boss it crashed? Trace taken with apitrace might be usefull.

Ah OK you commented there, so "The crash in Royal Gardens that is caused by Argus the Dreaded Mage boss"?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/345180...5286643028633/

Best will be if you made trace where it crashing and open a bug.
                    Thanks for the info. I encountered the crash in 2 locations, one is the Argus boss. I have an apitrace trace. It shows a problem with the R600 driver. But I don't know what to do from there. It's been years since I've done any coding and have to learn a lot of things :-)

Anyway easiest for me will be to simply buy a radeonsi supported card ... but ... I'd like to improve the driver :-) I'll have a look at the bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

ARMA is one of my favorite game series so i would be happy to spend you the arma3 steam-key to get benchmarks

are you fine with that idea?

I've got ARMA 3 with an R9 290 and FX 9370 and I get roughly 30 fps @ 1080p with catalyst as long as I turn down a few settings like motion blur.

Comment

Working...
                      X