AMD Catalyst 15.7 Linux Benchmarks: R9 290 Hawaii & R9 285 Tonga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    ... It was just the most simple way to demonstrate active CAP. ...
    What is "CAP"? I (and Wikipedia) know only the CAP theorem.

Comment

@drSeehas

Comment

Renaming the binary from csgo_linux to hl2_linux improves performance by 50% and more with Catalyst 15.7 on a R9 285. Last time I tried this (with Catalyst 14.12) I got render issues, now it just improves performance. AMD please...

Comment

Just saw the cchtml ticket for this. Not surprised that having a profile improves performance (nobody would bother with profiles if they didn't help) but I am a bit surprised with the size of the improvement. Sounds like a workaround for a game engine issue rather than just a settings tweak (and sounds like we need to add a profile for CS:GO), will ask around.
          Test signature

Comment

Why are you surprised JB, here TF2 (also Source engine game) got same +50% performance.

Comment

Yeah, that's what makes me think it's a workaround for a game engine issue. Normally the improvements aren't so high.
              Test signature

Comment

Yeah there are bunch o weridness still with fglrx i spotted few days ago when i played with it, like 5% less performance if game has profile and Catalyst AI is enabled in amdccle

And in common is that glArrayElement strips is in some cases awfull slow, also glTexSubImage2D particulary with 32bit apps, etc...
                Last edited by dungeon; 18 July 2015, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Yeah, that's what makes me think it's a workaround for a game engine issue. Normally the improvements aren't so high.
                  I have posted on reddit above this and some people with newer GCN cards literally see their performance doubled.

Would be great if you could forward it to someone responsible. I mean, it is a shame to see that AMD is literally throwing away performance and getting negative posts due to this.

Comment

I don't get why it took so long till somebody tested it. I tested it with my HD 5670 but that did not improve speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      I don't get why it took so long till somebody tested it. I tested it with my HD 5670 but that did not improve speed.
                      I don't think renaming profiles is something called usual testing.

Of course this is nice found and should be pointed out, but in the end it prove nothing . Also no one from AMD advise nor supports renaming and running games under different or games which does not have profiles.

Comment

Working...
                      X