No announcement yet.

catalyst vs open source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about timing of the AMDGPU-based hybrid drivers, my focus has really been on the all-open stack since that's what we're using as a foundation for HSA. That slide only shows the AMDGPU plan, doesn't include transition from Catalyst.

I'm pretty sure the initial Catalyst driver should work on your 3.16 system and should be available now-ish.

I suspect this is going to be another "in theory OEMs are including Linux drivers in the 300 series boxes so we don't need to post the launch driver" affair where we end up having to post the driver on amd.com urgently anyways. Will start asking around.
    Test signature

Comment

It's confusing, but it boils down to this question:

* Suppose, I buy an R9 380 or Fury Nano this week, can I use it on my 3.16 kernel based setup, at least with the Catalyst stack ?

And yes, bridgman, grasshopper is impatient

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Not sure about timing of the AMDGPU-based hybrid drivers, my focus has really been on the all-open stack since that's what we're using as a foundation for HSA. That slide only shows the AMDGPU plan, doesn't include transition from Catalyst.

I'm pretty sure the initial Catalyst driver should work on your 3.16 system and should be available now-ish.

I suspect this is going to be another "in theory OEMs are including Linux drivers in the 300 series boxes so we don't need to post the launch driver" affair where we end up having to post the driver on amd.com urgently anyways. Will start asking around.
        Relying on drivers from the cd in the box set is just a really bad idea. I know that's not your fault at all, but this is 2015. The vast majority of people won't even look on the disk. Experienced linux users will look at the package manager for their driver, others will immediately look at amd.com for the driver. And that at minimum should have instructions for popular distros to install from their package manager.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Relying on drivers from the cd in the box set is just a really bad idea. I know that's not your fault at all, but this is 2015. The vast majority of people won't even look on the disk. Experienced linux users will look at the package manager for their driver, others will immediately look at amd.com for the driver. And that at minimum should have instructions for popular distros to install from their package manager.
          There is a requirements still, that one can setup those anywhere on supported OSes - even without a network.

Debian on BD discs comes to my mind That is not about vast majority of people, it is about any people located even somewhere deep into second universum
          Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I really don't see the difference, why put Windows drivers there then, and not Linux drivers ?

Anyway, thanks for speeding things up.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

There is a requirements still, that one can setup those anywhere on supported OSes - even without a network.

Debian on BD discs comes to my mind
              I suppose there are some of those conditions. But, honestly if I ever found myself in that position, I would trust my own thumb drive a lot more than some manufacturer disc. And I'd still install it through package management.

EDIT: Any advice to install anything outside of package management should be ignored.

Comment

I suppose there are some of those conditions. But, honestly if I ever found myself in that position, I would trust my own thumb drive a lot more than some manufacturer disc. And I'd still install it through package management.

EDIT: Any advice to install anything outside of package management should be ignored.
                Yeah, but if i am on Mars and my passive package managment does not support that GPU... what then?

I agree on vast majority, but i also agree on vast minority That is whole purpose that Debian has releases for BD discs, for people without any network.
                Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, but if i am on Mars and my passive package managment does not support that GPU... what then?
                  AMD's fault in that particular case. If the driver you need isn't available anywhere, then who else is there to blame?

EDIT: All AMD has to do is release a driver and package maintainers will take it from there. That driver release, whatever it is, should be available for download at the expected place and time. Even if it's identical to the driver on the manufacturer disc, It still needs to be available for download. Most people arent going to look on that disc.

EDIT: It things that AMD does exactly like this that sets themselves up for failure. And the worst part is they never realize it until after the fact when it's too late already.
                  Last edited by duby229; 23 June 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

AMD's fault in that particular case. If the driver you need isn't available anywhere, then who else is there to blame?
                    You seems to forget that i am on Mars and that AMD can't here me, actually no one can here me there and my blaming goes nowhere Still i have one passive BD with a distro and AMD CD with the driver, that is enough to make it operate correctly.

Comment

You seems to forget that i am on Mars and that AMD can't here me, actually no one can here me there and my blaming goes nowhere Still i have one passive BD with a distro and AMD CD with the driver, that is enough to make it operate correctly.
                      This is 2015 man, even if that particular machine doesn't have internet, just go to a different machine and download it. Even if you were on mars, theres an internet connection.

EDIT: Especially if I was working on mars, I'd be even more cautious to never insert anything I don't trust like manufacturer discs. I mean I want to get back to earth after all don't I?
                      Last edited by duby229; 23 June 2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X