Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FC6 fglrx 9250 dual-head DRI : Still in limbos

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Which driver are you using? Support for the Radeon 9250 was dropped from the mainstream fglrx drivers in version 8.28.8.

Use fglrx 8.28.8 with updated FC6 scripts (found in this forum).
    Thank you Michael. My first driver installation was from ATI (8.28.8). I somehow managed to get it installed in spite of his "dropped support".
    Anyway I've deleted all 4 rpms from ATI I've installed, then ran your script.
    It ran flawlessly, so I ended up with another 4 rpms, that I installed using rpm -ivh, one package after another (beginning with the kernel module).

Then I restarted X, and it shown no difference (exactly the same symptoms I described in my first post, along with its debug info and xorg.conf).
    The only benefit is see is that I now get all three tabs in fglrxcontrolpanel.

I've noticed the recurrent warning about another PCI graphic device not associated with a PCI instance ("(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found").
    What is it ? TV-out ?
    I read somewhere that it was a dummy device, sort of a flag, for Win2K dual head compatibilty, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway since my second screen device was defined as "PCI:1:0:1" and it didn't worked, I changed it to "PCI:1:0:0", like the first screen device.

Restarted X, but nothing has changed, no dual head, no DRI, strange warning about an unknown graphic device in Xorg.0.log... BUT fglrxcontrolpanel now displays only two tabs, I don't have access to dualhead settings like big-desktop etc.

I'm stuck here. What's wrong with my setup ? Do you want another post of debug informations ?

Comment

Try:

aticonfig --initial --force

as root then restart
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Try:

aticonfig --initial --force

as root then restart
        Ok, As soon as I'm in front of my linux box, I try. But I have some questions for you Michael :

Does aticonfig do anything else than simply generating a xorg.conf file ?
        Do you think my xorg.conf (I posted it in this thread two messages ago) is not ok and why ?

What is this unmatched device instance at busID PCI:1:0:1 shown in my (previously posted) Xorg.0.log?
        Is it my missing secondary display or a dummy busID, or a TVOUT ?

Could you remove my duplicated previous post ? I had some issues with my browser when posting, and it led to this dupe post - sorry

Comment

aticonfig can do more than just updating the conf, but with the --initial argument all it does is properly setup your xorg.conf.

You have quite a few options specified in your xorg.conf so one of those could be causing the conflict (have you tried just removing the BusID line)?

The other device is probably your second display port (if you have one) otherwise perhaps the TV output.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

aticonfig can do more than just updating the conf, but with the --initial argument all it does is properly setup your xorg.conf.
            Really ?! What else does aticonfig can do ? Is there other ways to deal with X and display properties than editing xorg.conf ?!

You have quite a few options specified in your xorg.conf so one of those could be causing the conflict
            I'm well aware of it but I thought it was eventually a clean one. If not, I hope "aticonfig --initial --force" will fix everything.

(have you tried just removing the BusID line)?
            I read somewhere that explicit BusID's were mandatory in dual-head setups. That's why I let them here, I DO want to use my ati dual-head AND dri capabilities.

The other device is probably your second display port (if you have one) otherwise perhaps the TV output.
            Yes I have a second display port (DVI), and I intend to use it, but I don't know how it is managed (single BusID ? double BusID ?). Furthermore my ATI bears a RCA TVOut port, so I have a total of three display ports.

Comment

I know in Big Desktop setups the BusID shouldn't be mandatory.

aticonfig can change heads dynamically, etc.... see aticonfig --help
              Michael Larabel

Comment

I know in Big Desktop setups the BusID shouldn't be mandatory.

aticonfig can change heads dynamically, etc.... see aticonfig --help
                Well... I did it, and it's not working either. Here's what I have when I do a :

aticonfig --dtop=horizontal --screen-layout=left --effective=now
                Error: Can't change option 'DesktopSetup' for running session.
                aticonfig: checking command options failed.

and a :

aticonfig --list-pairmode
                Get pair modes : 0
                and a :

aticonfig --add-pairmode=12800x10240+12801x10241

FGLRX_AddPairMode failed when try to add mode : 12800x10240+12801x10241
                Using xorg.conf
                Saved back-up to xorg.conf.fglrx-10
                and this :

aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1,tmds2

ati_dm: FGLRX_EnableDisplays failed when try to enable display: 21.
                Using xorg.conf
                Saved back-up to xorg.conf.fglrx-11

I forgot to mention that I have the Xorg.0.log warnings,, the same glxinfo and fglrxinfo.

Any idea Michael... ?

Comment

One more thing

Originally posted by wintermute View Post
                  Well... I did it, and it's not working either.
                  I meant I tried "aticonfig --initial --force" like you said. I tried these several other aticonfig commands afterward, with various errors as results - as you can see.

So what can I do ? What is wrong ? Is my distro broken ? Is it my radeon (it's working flawlessly in my XP alt boot) ?
                  If nobody knows, then what method can I use to track down the bug ?

Comment

Just wanted to interject.... Just installed the 8.34.8 drivers..... I could kiss any ATI employee on the lips right now! I'm sooo damn happy. I've been waiting SOOOOO long for some drivers that worked with this blasted x200m && HP ZV6000 combination.... only someone with the exact model, make, & GPU would understand. There's been horrible problems with this combination.

Besides all that.... IT WORKS NOW. God bless anyone that ever helped me with this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X