No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the blinking is addressed by Compiz settings, not driver settings. The problem AFAIK is app and compiz both writing to the same area of the screen.
    Test signature

Comment

Wow. XVideo finally works! That's great news!

Compiz still has some issues: glxgears, videos, and everything 3D is flickering horribly with Compiz enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I think the blinking is addressed by Compiz settings, not driver settings. The problem AFAIK is app and compiz both writing to the same area of the screen.
        In CompizConfig Settings Manager, enabling General Options->General->Unredirect Fullscreen Windows solves the flickering in fullscreen Xv. However, any use of compiz during the playback (moving volume/position sliders etc.) starts another 5-seconds session of blinking until the screen is "full" again.

I had no trouble with this using Xgl on top of the "old" fglrx. Isn't the new driver supposed to enable us playing Xv in a window under compiz? I repeat my request for the xorg.conf of a person who managed to get that working.
        Last edited by Wise Ferret; 06 March 2008, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Great release for me, 3D finally works

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Ferret View Post
            In CompizConfig Settings Manager, enabling General Options->General->Unredirect Fullscreen Windows solves the flickering in fullscreen Xv. However, any use of compiz during the playback (moving volume/position sliders etc.) starts another 5-seconds session of blinking until the screen is "full" again.

I had no trouble with this using Xgl on top of the "old" fglrx. Isn't the new driver supposed to enable us playing Xv in a window under compiz? I repeat my request for the xorg.conf of a person who managed to get that working.

I think it's because XGL is not really part of the xserver like AIGLX is, and the blinking is due to an xserver issue with window management.

Comment

I'm happy to see this release cleared up the issues with xv rendering.

The xv problems bothered me enough to have me go and get an nvidia card. Slowly but surely things will get ironed out and in my next round of upgrades I'll pick myself up an AMD graphics card.

Keep up the good work AMD!

Comment

@bridgeman

How long will it take to see pointsprites again? Did you ever try gl2benchmark?

Comment

What is Xvideo ?

I have intall the new driver:
                  - freeze on some Gnome Screen Saver on the screen-saver control panel
                  - flicker on 3D software like video-games, fgl_glxgears and others when compiz effet is activated

- The calibration with GammaPage and others work perfectly
                  - no flicker when a screen-saver start
                  - Work perfectly on firefox

Comment

screen locked

new driver tested. i have a serious problem about screen locked: when i try to logout and login into gnome or restart gdm with ctrl+alt+canc or switch to shell mode (ctrl+alt+f1,f2,etc...) driver locks screen and i must reset my notebook

p.s. notebook with 9700 mobility

Comment

Note: The newest 8.471.0 does not enable DRI using gutsy. It needs a more recent X.org for this, but 2D does work. "(II) fglrx(0): driver needs X.org 7.1.x.y with x.y >= 0.0"
                      Is this true?

Comment

Working...
                      X