Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    AMD pisses me off!
    Thanks to those jerks, all of us using Ubuntu are stuck with X.Org Server 1.16 when we could be enjoying ourselves with 1.17.
    AMD is holding back Linux innovation for everyone!

I do not even buy their products, yet I still get punished. As a Intel hardware user I am still stuck with old X.Org Server 1.1.6 even though 1.17 is out.
    wait.... so you, someone who hates anything closed source regardless of how good or helpful it may be, is deciding to use catalyst when the open source drivers are better in most cases? Also, do you even know how you personally would benefit from xserver 1.17? Because I don't think you do.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      AMD pisses me off!
      Thanks to those jerks, all of us using Ubuntu are stuck with X.Org Server 1.16 when we could be enjoying ourselves with 1.17.
      AMD is holding back Linux innovation for everyone!

I do not even buy their products, yet I still get punished. As a Intel hardware user I am still stuck with old X.Org Server 1.1.6 even though 1.17 is out.
      Why do you need new xserver for? AMD fixed an issue with supported monitors on a hardware level with FreeSync, making ideas around DRI3 and Wayland partly obsolete

Comment

I don't understand the relationship between Catalyst releases, Linux kernel releases and Xorg server releases, would someone care to enlighten me please.

Why does a new kernel or Xorg version necessitate a Catalyst release that supports it? Do they hardcode version numbers in Catalyst as to what it supports or something?

Unless the new version of the kernel or Xorg specifically changes some element that interacts with the graphics driver, why can't they just work independently of each other?

Comment

By the way, maybe anyone can tell in Simple English what going on with DRI3?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Also, do you even know how you personally would benefit from xserver 1.17? Because I don't think you do.
            I know this wasn't directed at me, but, AMD user here... I just recently switched to the open-source driver. I'll quote myself from the other thread that I started: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...173#post477173

I am experiencing some graphics corruption issues in Firefox and Thunderbird. I'm surprised there haven't been tons of people complaining about this already. Here's a bug report for one of the issues, where characters get misrendered until you mouse over/highlight them: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81930

Looks like it's a GLAMOR issue, and has been fixed in Xorg 1.17. Unfortunately, Ubuntu won't include Xorg 1.17 until fglrx supports it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1424980
            Add to that the additional GLAMOR performance improvements (which result in even lower CPU usage). So I know I would benefit from Xorg 1.17, if AMD would just get with the program...

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              By the way, maybe anyone can tell in Simple English what going on with DRI3?
              https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81551
              In simple english that would be - father leave one company, for another
              Last edited by dungeon; 10 March 2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                I don't understand the relationship between Catalyst releases, Linux kernel releases and Xorg server releases, would someone care to enlighten me please.

Why does a new kernel or Xorg version necessitate a Catalyst release that supports it? Do they hardcode version numbers in Catalyst as to what it supports or something?

Unless the new version of the kernel or Xorg specifically changes some element that interacts with the graphics driver, why can't they just work independently of each other?
                Xorg has a habit of breaking the ABI every so often thus requiring catalyst recompile. Even if they didn't break the API, catalyst DOES hardcode maximum version numbers for both Xorg and the kernel. (Or at least as of 3 months ago they did)
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  I don't really need mantle support.

But after

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it would have been nice.
                  I think http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc2Mzc was the most recent and ended up replacing the earlier plans you quoted.
                  Test signature

Comment

Not to mention the Linux kernel

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Xorg has a habit of breaking the ABI every so often thus requiring catalyst recompile. Even if they didn't break the API, catalyst DOES hardcode maximum version numbers for both Xorg and the kernel. (Or at least as of 3 months ago they did)
                    Not to mention the Linux kernel, which has never had a stable ABI, and any driver made has to account for those changes.

Comment

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
                      I know this wasn't directed at me, but, AMD user here... I just recently switched to the open-source driver. I'll quote myself from the other thread that I started: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...173#post477173

Originally posted by plasmasnake View Post
                      Just an update: So far stability has been great, but I am experiencing some graphics corruption issues in Firefox and Thunderbird. I'm surprised there haven't been tons of people complaining about this already. Here's a bug report for one of the issues, where characters get misrendered until you mouse over/highlight them: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81930

Looks like it's a GLAMOR issue, and has been fixed in Xorg 1.17. Unfortunately, Ubuntu won't include Xorg 1.17 until fglrx supports it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1424980
                      Add to that the additional GLAMOR performance improvements (which result in even lower CPU usage). So I know I would benefit from Xorg 1.17, if AMD would just get with the program...
                      I thought that's why we have the Oibaf PPA?

Comment

Working...
                      X