No announcement yet.

AMD Will Release New Catalyst Linux Driver Update This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The open source graphics driver is in the upstream kernel tree. Since the general convention is that if you change something else in the kernel that affects another component you are expected to adjust that component (eg the graphics driver) as well it keeps up with the kernel more or less automatically. Things are never quite that simple in real life, but that's the idea. Same general rule applies for the X driver, which is part of the X.org upstream tree.
    Test signature

Comment

• Hmm, that sounds really nice right about now. I'm still stuck, though. I need dual card support and good OpenCL support, at minimum. I don't look into these things except when I'm desperate to fix a problem that attacked me from behind while upgrading my kernel, but my understanding is that the open source driver is still lacking both. That's why I'm so keen on the next AMD driver release.

Please, please...anybody have news to share?

Comment

• Originally posted by Porcelain Mouse View Post
        Please, please...anybody have news to share?
        I guess catalyst devs are too much busy to support W10 and DX12... and well Vulkan might be. New driver to support all those and their features likely needs some major driver overhaul

But yeah Carrizo and Fiji are coming, so expect driver soon

Comment

• The delays are not Linux related. Windows 7/8 users are waiting aswell (the latest Windows betas are not new drivers, just the 14.12 Omega with very few game specific fixes backported). No fixed date, but Radeon Rx 300 Series launch in two weeks and I expect the new driver to drop around that time, to include support for the new GPUs and its features.

Comment

• Yeah! Just got e-mail that 15.5 is available for Linux! Just 5 days shy of 6 months after the last stable update. (Came right to his thread, haven't even check the web-site to see if they are really there. Here's hoping for great things!)

Comment

Working...
            X