No announcement yet.

AMD Will Release New Catalyst Linux Driver Update This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well as happy AMD customer you did not buy a R9 285 right? It is so much better to buy the 3rd incarnation of an outdated chip with a new name instead (which has Mantle support but no speed gain with fast CPUs). Btw. I also dislike that Nvidia rebranded GM1 chips as mobile 9xx chips if you feel better then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Well as happy AMD customer you did not buy a R9 285 right?
      No i didn't, we all know there is no support yet for it with opensource driver.

I also dislike that Nvidia rebranded GM1 chips as mobile 9xx chips if you feel better then.
      100% nVidia fanboy you are

Comment

• What do you think about TONGA which is available for 6 months and AMDGPU was presented 5 months ago and you still can not buy it if you like OSS support? Of course nothing as you look before you buy/suggest a card to somebody that it runs with OSS drivers which has less features and needs more energy.

Comment

What do you think about TONGA which is available for 6 months and AMDGPU was presented 5 months ago and you still can not buy it if you like OSS support?
          I am an old scool and i learned to wait so this may sound weird to someone, but anyway.... opensource gpu drivers as other opensource drivers in linux kernel are not something you get, those are something you need to deserve

6 months is nothing
          Last edited by dungeon; 13 March 2015, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Of course 6 months are nothing with AMD glasses, expect a new kernel release every 3 month average. 4.0 will be out in 2 months, 4.1 with AMDGPU (hopefully) in 5 months. 6+5=11, the magic number for AMD bugs.

Comment

Of course 6 months are nothing with AMD glasses, expect a new kernel release every 3 month average. 4.0 will be out in 2 months, 4.1 with AMDGPU (hopefully) in 5 months. 6+5=11, the magic number for AMD bugs.
              New drivers/implementations/etc often has bugs and raw edges, as any other software if you want to look close enough but with sunglasses you won't see anything

Comment

Of course 6 months are nothing with AMD glasses, expect a new kernel release every 3 month average. 4.0 will be out in 2 months, 4.1 with AMDGPU (hopefully) in 5 months. 6+5=11, the magic number for AMD bugs.
                How many freakin' apologies do you want ? We've already said a couple of times that we had to choose between launch-time Tonga support or implementing arch changes that would let us make better open and closed drivers in the future. Do we need to send flowers or something ?
                Test signature

Comment

• @dungeon
                  You should get money from AMD, you can sell buggy drivers and make others feel happy that they paid for development before they could use it as intended.

@bridgman
                  No need for apologies, push out the beta driver for everybody that Ubuntu got as first step. There is nothing more stupid than synchronizing driver releases between Windows and Linux. I am sure i pointed this out why several years ago. Release next beta offical as well and so on.
                  Last edited by Kano; 13 March 2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• I can give something you want

Now go complain to AMD why drivers are so slow with UE4

Comment

@dungeon
                      You should get money from AMD, you can sell buggy drivers and make others feel happy that they paid for development before they could use it as intended.
                      OK, I don't understand this at all even with my sarcasm detectors turned up to 11.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @bridgman
                      No need for apologies, push out the beta driver for everybody that Ubuntu got as first step. There is nothing more stupid than synchronizing driver releases between Windows and Linux. I am sure i pointed this out why several years ago. Release next beta offical as well and so on.
                      1. Weren't we talking about the open drivers ?

2. Remember that Windows & Linux have >80% of the code in common so testing & fixing them together gives us a lot of leverage. "Inconvenient" is probably true but I don't think "stupid" applies. Yes you pointed it out several years ago and I disagreed with you then as well.

Kano, what you're basically saying over and over again is "you should have made a lot more money back in the *Hammer days so you would have more money today and be able to do more things at the same time", but I don't think you or anyone has actually come up with a constructive solution yet. Patches welcome.

Agree that a public release of the driver that Ubuntu got would be useful, but since it probably hasn't been tested yet on anything but 15.04 it might not be as useful as you think.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X