AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stqn View Post
    I don?t see the point of measuring the temperature of the GPU. The hottest card, the 5450, was also the one that was outputting the fewest heat, which seems more important to me.
    More then likely it's passively cooled with a tiny heatsink or fan cooled with a 40mm fan and even tinier heatsink. You see this allot on low end GPUs. If you are going to use one at all get a model with a passive heatsink and put a fan on it.

Way back on my AthlonXP box I used to use a Geforce 6200 which was passively cooled, so I could play Regnum Online in Linux at the time I took an old 50-60mm CPU fan and shroud and attached them to the passive heatsink, with that temps where very low on stock and low enough I could overclock the GPU by 73Mhz with NVClock back when that actually used to work. This worked great till the 6200's Vram could no longer take the overclocks and would artifact if OC'd at all, yet the GPU overclock held strong.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      If you are low on money and buying now go and buy new Sempron 2650 + some new AM1 board... that will costs you 50 € (i guess that is dirty cheap for new hardware even in Third World countries) and those have UVD4 and thus fine vdpau support within radeon driver . But if you buy now something with 4-6 years old RSxxx chipset instead of that (with no other partucular need), you are really... then i guess you know your thing . But if you don't, noone wants to support that - you can only get friendly advise like this .
      Yeah, and then I put that board in my laptop. Oh, wait. By the way, the RS880 is still the top of the line integrated vodeochip for AMD's top of the line FX CPUs. Of course one could buy a dedicated videocard (of course an AMD one, am I right?), but this is simply stupid if all you want is to get video acceleration and simple 3D.
      Also, it is not that I did not make sure that that hardware is supported by AMD when I bought it, it worked well. Until AMD decided that this (at that time) two years old laptop is suddenly obsolete legacy hardware and told anyone: Oh, you only will get sporadic driver updates (history tells us: it was exactly one) and if you are not satisfied with using outdated drivers on outdated kernels and outdated Xorg versions one should switch to the open source drivers. Nevermind that this was at a time where DPM was nothing but a dream and that this is simply unacceptable for mobile devices.

Get of your high horse, if you want me to buy new hardware because my current hardware (absolutely sufficient for its purpose, all I need is UVD to get power-consumption/temperatures down) is low priority than I will for sure not buy AMD for that. This is different on my desktop, where I can simply replace the videocard if AMD (or for that matter Nvidia) fucks up, but for integrated/mobile devices this behavior is unacceptable. It is not that AMD has that many customers that they can easily piss of those that they have already.
      Last edited by Vim_User; 28 June 2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

You did't tell it is a laptop, so i didn't know . You can buy something with E-2500 APU, which is same as Sempron 2650 for the desktop and think about the same support within radeon dirver . But laptops are more expensive, that may starts at around 200 € .

Anyway i don't think you checked out radeon driver before you buy and i am sure you dont , because RSxxx and PX IGPs are known to not have much of good support nor never being high priority within radeon driver and that was ever been, but dedicated cards and APUs have better support .

So now you know it , i am not developer nor AMD's employee so i can say that easely . But even if you ask devs, what have the best support and what not, they will somehow tell you the same .

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          I took an old 50-60mm CPU fan and shroud and attached them to the passive heatsink
          That defeats the point of passive cooling (i.e. silence). I actually do something similar with a 120 mm fan pointed at a half-height 8400GS, but it's running on 5V and very, very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            According to bridgman it something between ready and up for legal review, which probably will cause further development work. And yes, he has confirmed that it is low priority (though AM3+ boards with the RS880 are still sold in the real world), but low priority does not mean that no one ever touches it.

I personally doubt that we will ever see it, but bridgman explicitly said that they would tell us if that is the case. Something I don't believe, I think nobody will work on it until no one uses those chipsets anymore. Kind of a self solving problem in the long term, but the kind of problem that will prevent me from going for AMD the next time I buy a laptop.
            You write your disconnected emotions in a tech forum, as if someone cares to hear your emotional attachment to this issue. Get a girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              You did't tell it is a laptop, so i didn't know . You can buy something with E-2500 APU, which is same as Sempron 2650 for the desktop and think about the same support within radeon dirver . But laptops are more expensive, that may starts at around 200 ? .
              For sure, because AMD declares a totally fine laptop to be legacy and doesn't care anymore about them I will buy a new one, of course one from AMD. I am not quite sure if you are trolling or if this should be sarcasm, but it still does lack any logic.
              AMD let me down, so I buy from them again? Of course not, why would I?
              Anyway i don't think you checked out radeon driver before you buy and i am sure you dont , because RSxxx and PX IGPs are known to not have much of good support nor never being high priority within radeon driver and that was ever been, but dedicated cards and APUs have better support .
              No, I checked the fglrx driver which, as we all know, let down anyone before HD5xxx, in a sudden move that could not be foreseen by anyone, especially when at that time mainboards and laptops with RS880 where still plenty and in many new machines, especially those from OEMs.
              Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer
              You write your disconnected emotions in a tech forum, as if someone cares to hear your emotional attachment to this issue. Get a girlfriend.
              You write your insults on a tech forum to a person you know nothing about, except that I am pissed at how AMD cares about its customers.
              Get a brain.

Comment

Vim_User, how do you reconcile all the work that's been done (and is still being done) to support your hardware in the open source drivers with the statements you're making ? You're the one who said we're not going to do it, not us -- and AFAICS you're acting as if *we* said we wouldn't ever release it.

What we said is that yes, we have done a lot of work on it, yes there's been a lot of progress, yes there is still some work to do before we can release, yes we're still working on it, and like EVERY OTHER SCRAP OF OPEN SOURCE SUPPORT WE HAVE RELEASED IN THE LAST SEVEN YEARS we won't know until we're finished if & when we will be able to release it.
                Test signature

Comment

Well, this is great, but... sadly, AVC1/AVC/VC1, or however is called, is a bit "limited" in the FOSS driver, at least temporarily.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Vim_User, how do you reconcile all the work that's been done (and is still being done) to support your hardware in the open source drivers with the statements you're making ? You're the one who said we're not going to do it, not us -- and AFAICS you're acting as if *we* said we wouldn't ever release it.

What we said is that yes, we have done a lot of work on it, yes there's been a lot of progress, yes there is still some work to do before we can release, yes we're still working on it, and like EVERY OTHER SCRAP OF OPEN SOURCE SUPPORT WE HAVE RELEASED IN THE LAST SEVEN YEARS we won't know until we're finished if & when we will be able to release it.
                  Lol, you shouldn't reply to trolls and repeat yourself once and once again, simply post a link/quote to your other posts.
                  You have talkied about this many times, and people keep repeating the same lies...
                  Just give them this link: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...0-and-RV790%29

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    For sure, because AMD declares a totally fine laptop to be legacy and doesn't care anymore about them I will buy a new one, of course one from AMD. I am not quite sure if you are trolling or if this should be sarcasm, but it still does lack any logic.
                    I said go and by Intel Atom with PowerVR graphics, you should be amazed by support from Intel... resselers has planty of them in stock . Or if you want ARM you should buy nVidia tegra k1 which has good hardware on paper, but on software side you should be amazed because they are not there yet neither is performance of a blob . Even if you go for Mips, lemote from example you will again got your AMD RS780

Clearly all vendors have some kind of inconstency here and there . So from what vendor you want to buy without rethinking what you want .

No, I checked the fglrx driver which, as we all know, let down anyone before HD5xxx, in a sudden move that could not be foreseen by anyone, especially when at that time mainboards and laptops with RS880 where still plenty and in many new machines, especially those from OEMs.
                    Do you being here when first two dropped support happens?

2006. dropped support for R100/R200
                    2009. dropped support for R300/R400/R500
                    2012. dropped support for R600/R700
                    2015. dropped support for Evergreen/NI
                    2018. dropped support for GCN 1.x
                    2021. dropped support for GCN 2.x

Enough guessing from me i don't live in 2022. they do not even released last stuff and i am predict dropped support shame on me , but that looks to me pretty predictible how things goes .

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Well, thank you. You are making much progress despite the hassles.

Comment

Working...
                      X