AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Do you being here when first two dropped support happens?

2006. dropped support for R100/R200
    2009. dropped support for R300/R400/R500
    2012. dropped support for R600/R700
    2015. dropped support for Evergreen/NI
    2018. dropped support for GCN 1.x
    2021. dropped support for GCN 2.x
    Dropping the Support from Main Catalyst is not the big problem, even is R600 up to eg/ni share many from its code (rant), the Problem is that the legacy driver don't get any updates for new xserver or kernel releases. I have 3 HTPC's and after AMD drop Support for this Cards (HD3650M, HD3850 and Hd 4200) i have to switch back to Windows for it.

Comment

(deleted)

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Dropping the Support from Main Catalyst is not the big problem, even is R600 up to eg/ni share many from its code (rant), the Problem is that the legacy driver don't get any updates for new xserver or kernel releases. I have 3 HTPC's and after AMD drop Support for this Cards (HD3650M, HD3850 and Hd 4200) i have to switch back to Windows for it.
        I know that, and that just means to me "We does not support rolling linux distros" . But that is the case even for regular releases, they didn't support software version XYZ but actual distros and versions... from the latest beta:

Linux Distributions Supported:
        The AMD Catalyst? 14.6 Beta Driver for Linux is designed to support the following Linux distributions:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 6.4 and 6.5
        SUSE? Linux Enterprise 11 SP3
        openSUSE 13.1
        Ubuntu 12.04.4 and 14.04
        That does not mean that will not work on Linux from Scratch install, but users mainly have self support there . So that is it, if you don't use these distributions and these versions of distributions, your mileage may vary .

Comment

Dungeon they dont bring the legacy driver even on the supported distributions with this version. i don't mean the bleeding edge but i can't the catalyst for my HD3XXX Cards on a ubuntu 14.04, For this i have to downgrade my kernel and xserver ...

Comment

Let's say fair AMD legacy drivers are pretty crappy on Windows too:
            • One distributed with Windows 8 / 8.1 don't have OpenGL support.
              And their installer from website fail to replace built-in drivers automatically.
            • There is a lot of OpenGL bugs that aren't fixed.
            • HD3XXX have GPU lockups that freeze Windows completely.

And yeah latest real update was released more than a year ago and only fixed some problems for CoH2, so we can count them as abandoned drivers too. On Linux there at least some chance that problems will be fixed while on Windows there just no way to use those GPUs in many cases.

Comment

Dungeon they dont bring the legacy driver even on the supported distributions with this version. i don't mean the bleeding edge but i can't the catalyst for my HD3XXX Cards on a ubuntu 14.04, For this i have to downgrade my kernel and xserver ...
              I quote what they write for the current beta version, distributions support is of course not the same for current drivers and within 13.1, 9.3 and 8.28 legacy Catalyst drivers .

Yes i know you (or your distribution package maintainer) need *something* to do, when distribution is not listed as supported .

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                Let's say fair AMD legacy drivers are pretty crappy on Windows too:
                • One distributed with Windows 8 / 8.1 don't have OpenGL support.
                  And their installer from website fail to replace built-in drivers automatically.
                • There is a lot of OpenGL bugs that aren't fixed.
                • HD3XXX have GPU lockups that freeze Windows completely.
                The first 2 doesn't matter and with the last i never get a problem with that.

Comment

The first 2 doesn't matter and with the last i never get a problem with that.
                  Last one is mainly happen in 3D applications as well. Might be for you those doesn't mater for you, but problems are there and it's just indicate that Windows users suffer from bugs just like Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                    Last one is mainly happen in 3D applications as well.
                    The Hd3850 is still used for 3D (Fallout 3, NV, Skyrim, X3, Borderlands 1, Dungeon Siege 1&2, Freelancer) and its fine, and OpenGL is not very wide used on windows.
                    Last edited by Nille; 29 June 2014, 08:14 AM.

Comment

The Hd3850 is still used for 3D (Fallout 3, NV, Skyrim, X3, Borderlands 1, Dungeon Siege 1&2, Freelancer) and its fine, and OpenGL is not very wide used on windows.
                      As far as I aware GPU lockups on HD3XXX not only happen in OpenGL games, but in other games too. At least it's what I found when investigate those lockups. And yeah I just share what I know about AMD drivers on Windows because I help with support of OpenGL-powered game. I'm personally have a lot of reasons to criticize AMD on Linux, but I just want to notice that in number of case their Windows drivers for Legacy GPU can be worse than open source on Linux.

And they don't put any effort in fixing Windows drivers so I just don't see what do you want with Linux one...

Comment

Working...
                      X