Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leonmaxx
    replied
    Good news, this beta fixed perfomance problems in TF2 for me.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Not to nitpick, but did I actually suggest you register there ?

I guess I might have but I don't remember doing so...

... but I'm *highly* confident I didn't suggest you register there and just file generic complaints about lack of response.

(scratches head)

Are you maybe quoting text from Kano's post but without indicating that it's a quote ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 April 2013, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by mannerov View Post
    There is an official AMD forum for reporting bugs for steam on linux:http://devgurus.amd.com/community/steam-linux
    The issue is that we had no developper posts other the lasts months (and it seems that today and yesterday a bot has filled the forum).
    And a topic why nobody is responding....

I just wonder, if AMD is reading this forum sometime or not.

As suggested by bridgman I registered for this forum and I already regret it. It is lost time as no devs answers anything. It is the same c r a p as the "unofficial" bugtracker that never got responses.

How to get rid of customers ?

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @Gps4l

You should know that intel+nvidia have got access to source engine code, if needed they could tell the devs how to increase speed that it works best with their drivers. I don't know if amd has got access and if they are willing to do the same.
    I am wondering the same. ( if amd is willing )
    I do know however croteam, and Valve are talking with amd.

But like the guy from croteam said, it seems that amd has other priorities.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Isn't this way of thinking part of the problem? AMD now has a bad image for Linux gamers because they don't have enough driver developers to actually deliver a sufficient product. So not having enough developers furthers their money problems. They should hire developers to get a better product in the long run instead of saving money now with having to pay fewer developers, but lowering product quality.
    I fully agree.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Use opensource software to find bugs and improve proprietary. Or what?
    Its Intel who is pushing whole opensource driver stack, nobody else.
    They found out, because opengl is opensource, the hardware could be faster. That they also used it to improve the dx performance is right, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

I believe intel has the best Linux drivers, too bad they don't make vid cards.

For heavy games, the onboard graphic chips, arent fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @Gps4l

You should know that intel+nvidia have got access to source engine code, if needed they could tell the devs how to increase speed that it works best with their drivers. I don't know if amd has got access and if they are willing to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    On the other hand, AMD could also just hire more devs, but we all know they can't afford that yet.
    Isn't this way of thinking part of the problem? AMD now has a bad image for Linux gamers because they don't have enough driver developers to actually deliver a sufficient product. So not having enough developers furthers their money problems. They should hire developers to get a better product in the long run instead of saving money now with having to pay fewer developers, but lowering product quality.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
    The last line shows the advantage of opensource software.
    Use opensource software to find bugs and improve proprietary. Or what?
    Its Intel who is pushing whole opensource driver stack, nobody else.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    The ss3 opengl speed issues are NOT linux specific, they are crossplattform, you can change the renderer to opengl on windows too (not via the menu however). The decreased speed affects nvidia as well, the flickering textures are ati only however. They can be fixed when you press alt+enter twice as soon as you are in the menu and NOT in a level, when you do it in a level you can forget everything, then it is unplayable slow.
    From the steam Linux forums, I know this to be true.

I have not tried it myself, but the opengl performance is on windows as bad as on Linux.
    A few steam on Linux users have tested it.

I only compared opengl on Linux with Dx on windows.
    As soon as more enemies show up, I do not really notice a difference on windows,
    on Linux however I have a total cave in, of the fps.

Something about Croteam, I posted problems I had with ss3, on the steam forum for serious sam3.
    I got a reply within 24 hours..... They tried to help, and I am on openSUSE.

Some companies care about their customers.
    If amd does, then they are damn good in hiding it.

And what really makes me sad, Valve has published a few articles, they explained why games should run faster on Linux.
    Not by much though just a few fps.

Faster zombies

When we started with Linux, the initial version we got up and running was at 6 FPS. This is typical of an initial successful port to a new platform.
    Performance improvements fall into several categories:

Modifying our game to work better with the kernel
    Modifying our game to work better with OpenGL
    Optimizing the graphics driver

OpenGL versus Direct3D on Windows 7

This experience lead to the question: why does an OpenGL version of our game run faster than Direct3D on Windows 7? It appears that it?s not related to multitasking overhead. We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D.
    The last line shows the advantage of opensource software.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X