Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grantek
    replied
    "dpkg -P" will purge the configuration files, but because amdpcsdb isn't part of the package it isn't removed (dpkg -P does give a warning about this though)

Leave a comment:

• albatorsk
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Did you uninstall the previous fglrx driver before installing the new one ?
    Well, basically what RealNC said.

But just to clarify; I let my package manager handle the installation and uninstallation by simply running "dpkg -i *.deb" in the directory where I built the deb packages. This has worked fine before, and as far as I can remember this was the first time I had to meddle in /etc/ati/ after upgrading the driver.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    OK.....

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Files in /etc are usually not removed when uninstalling stuff so that settings don't get lost. And that's a good thing; imagine what would happen if you had to redo all settings of all software you upgrade. Welcome to hell.

What's not a good thing, however, is fglrx chocking on the /etc/ati stuff of previous versions, for no apparent reason. Yeah I know, you'll say "did you report it in the bug tracker", but you know my answer so lets not derail another thread
    Last edited by RealNC; 17 January 2010, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Did you uninstall the previous fglrx driver before installing the new one ?

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
    I just tried it, and guess what? It worked. Thanks.

Going from earlier 9.x, I've never had to do that before. Very strange.
    Actually it's a very common problem. Linux-only of course

Leave a comment:

• albatorsk
    replied
    Originally posted by Saphy View Post
    Have you tried removing /etc/ati/amdpcsdb?
    I just tried it, and guess what? It worked. Thanks.

Going from earlier 9.x, I've never had to do that before. Very strange.

Leave a comment:

• Saphy
    replied
    Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
    I finally decided to try the 9.12 hotfix release on my 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 installation with an HD4870. Building the deb-files went just fine, and so did installing them. But when I start X my two monitors (connected via DVI) goes to sleep. "Hmmmm. Funny." I thought, so I tried the real 9.12 release; the same thing.

Going back to 9.11 solved the problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I tried searching ati.cchtml.com but it hasn't been updated with new versions of Catalyst since 9.7.
    Have you tried removing /etc/ati/amdpcsdb?

Leave a comment:

• albatorsk
    replied
    I finally decided to try the 9.12 hotfix release on my 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 installation with an HD4870. Building the deb-files went just fine, and so did installing them. But when I start X my two monitors (connected via DVI) goes to sleep. "Hmmmm. Funny." I thought, so I tried the real 9.12 release; the same thing.

Going back to 9.11 solved the problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I tried searching ati.cchtml.com but it hasn't been updated with new versions of Catalyst since 9.7.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Currently it has nothing to do with the kernel, when you do a dist-upgrade - that's why you would like to install sid, do you - you will get xserver 1.7.4 and then fglrx is not working whatever you try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X