AMD Catalyst 9.12 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    My understanding was that the hotfix drivers were off a newer code base than the regular 9.12 drivers, ie they weren't just "9.12 plus a fix".

I'll be in the office this afternoon, will see if I can get more info.

EDIT - OK, looks like the regular Cat 9.12 driver is the "Final" build from the 8.681 release. The hotfix driver is a "Release Candidate" from the 8.682.2 release and has only been QA'ed on HD4xxx and HD5xxx -- presumably those are the cards where the changes are helpful.

So... the hotfix does not replace the regular Cat 9.12, it just offers specific fixes and should be picked up only if you need those fixes. If you have a 6xx product, stay with 9.12.
    Thank you, and guess that applies to me 4850 mobility. (Is the "hotfix" actually a comlete driver in itself or is it bits and pieces added to an existing driver?) {EDIT] nm. I see from the line above that it just adds bits and pieces.. [/EDIT]

What the hell?! Going to the office on Christmas Eve? Hope it was for a party...

Comment

It actually is a complete driver, but from a later point in the source tree with (my guess) 50 changes on top of the regular Cat 9.12.

The office trip is just to pick up some work so I can finish it at home rather than having to drive through the upcoming blizzard. I need to drive into the city anyways.

Office party was a couple of weeks ago
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        bridgman our opensource hero..... works all the time for world domination..
        Bridgman, in the days of AIDS in Arfica and bloody war in the middle east, you the beacon that makes the world go around.

Who else is there in the world that's going to help kill the pure evil binary Radeon graphics card driver? Nothing else matters.

You're the prophet send from the heavens that will help the world be a better place and-.... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yeah...

Comment

Well, it sounds better than "the pointy-haired boss of the open source project", which is how I was describing my job
          Test signature

Comment

Well, it sounds better than "the pointy-haired boss of the open source project", which is how I was describing my job
            In the days of pointless marketing job names you should have gone for 'Head Of the Advanced Micro Device International Open Knowledge Collaboration and Exchange Department of UNIX Operating Systems Acceleration of Graphical Computer Aided Design, High Definition Entertainment and Scientific Computing*' (HOAMDIOKCEDUOSAGCADHDESC).

C'mon man, you're fulfilling a Universaty grade top job in Silicon Valley... Give yourself at least a little credit for it

*GPGPU acceleration with the OpenCL state tracker.
            Last edited by V!NCENT; 25 December 2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we already have someone with that job title
              Test signature

Comment

I'm pretty sure we already have someone with that job title
                <too much partying>

However even the windows drivers aren't the greatest as some 3D apps/games fail with apparently rendering errors, so hopefully the OSS linux drivers will be the best...
                Last edited by cutterjohn; 26 December 2009, 08:26 AM.

Comment

The only, and then I mean the only reason the FLOSS drivers are doing so good is because they are FLOSS.

In FLOSS everything works together. In the world of proprietary everything is in continues conflict with each other.

Comment

Basically you can install W7 in about 10 min from usb stick too. So your comparison is not fully correct - XP is outdated anyway.

It is really hard to find one correct line in your postings

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Basically you can install W7 in about 10 min from usb stick too. So your comparison is not fully correct - XP is outdated anyway.
                      Heh... Yeah I just installed Windows 7 on my dads laptop. It takes a little longer than that! (clean install) And the graphics card wasn't even recognised. There was not way of knowing what that card was and even what drivers to find. In the end it was nVidia Quadro FX 2500M. It's a 7900 gtx with different firmware. First of all good luck in even finding these drivers (nVidia doesn't have them).

Appart from that Windows 7 is kinda good, from a Windows perspective. From an OS perspective it is mediocre/allright.

And Qaridarium is kinda correct. One tiny change in the source code (take a DLL file for example) can seriously mess up the harmony of the entire system. I know that there is a DLL versioning system or something in later Windows releases, but with FLOSS the entire affected software projects all correct each other mostly. It all blends together, whereas in cathedral everything is isolated.

It's like politics; somebody says something supposedly tiny and the entire world can turn upside down.

Comment

Working...
                      X