Ubuntu 9.10 Gets Unreleased Catalyst 9.10 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    the low-market-share argument is complete bullshit to block UVD2 on the closed source Catalyst driver.
    I'm pretty confused by the lack of UVD2. Bridgman has stated that several commercial partners are using it under Linux, and yet it's nowhere to be seen on the consumer side. The only reason I can think for this to happen is some sort of legal process, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be able to put out a feature in their binary driver except under NDA. Is there concern that UVD2 is just too easy to reverse engineer? And in that case, are there plans to fix this in the future by further obfuscating it somehow?

Comment

The "protection" has been already hacked, cracked, reverse engineered, broken, p0wnt, whatever. It's just that AMD still isn't allowed to publish specs about it.

Comment

'Your argument failing because linux has a low market share and nvidia brings VDPAU to support HD-viedeo acceleration on linux.

because your argument are only correct if Nvdia do not support HD-viedeo-Acceleration on Linux because of the low market share.

the low-market-share argument is complete bullshit to block UVD2 on the closed source Catalyst driver.
        I don't believe I have *ever* said or implied that our support relative to our competitors had anything to do with market share. What I *have* said multiple times is that other vendors started supporting consumer users before we did, and that we are catching up but still have some work to do.

The context of the market share discussion was my response to another Threedays' comment that "Every Thing Is Happening On Linux".
        Last edited by bridgman; 08 September 2009, 07:29 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

While Xrandr 1.2 support was enabled, google earth and a couple of games used to trigger X to lockups with recent versions. This one seems to fix that.

A minor regression is that after switching repeatedly between X and console the console starts to flicker.

Comment

is it possible to install this package in jaunty?
            i kinda hope this solves my weird fullscreen bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              is it possible to install this package in jaunty?
              i kinda hope this solves my weird fullscreen bug.
              yes you can !

Comment

The whole drm discussion is useless when you talk about fglrx, there the lib is packaged since ages, but no header files are shipped, not even closed source apps are available to use it. So that lib is only shipped for handselected embedded system vendors which is definitely a wrong decision.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Sorry Kensai, I don't get the connection. We were talking about market share and how to measure it. How are my "arguments" there failing ?
                  Cause your market share comments went to the point of defending why ATI doesn't focus on Linux and give proper support. Nvidia on the other hand focus a lot, but a lot of effort making a driver that is equally good on Linux and Windows. But well, I have heard ATI Windows driver is not that good either.

Comment

Sorry, I've read the thread a half dozen times and I still don't see how you could draw that conclusion from what I said. Let me read it one more time...

EDIT - nope, still don't see it. Are you sure you're not reacting to someone else's post rather than mine ? Is there a specific post # I should be looking at ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 09 September 2009, 09:14 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Better Buy an 48core CPU system and use the cpus as a Full spec and full featured VGA...
                      Probably would still be inferior to most normal GPU's for complex games.

Comment

Working...
                      X