r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r6xx 3D games

The gears milestone thread is getting a little long so let's start one for tracking 3D game performance with git changes.

With changes of last 2-3 days there is noticeable improvement in eduke32 and sdlquake2.

eduke32 with video option set to 32 bit doesn't have any flickering now but you can still see enemies and flames behind walls.

sdlquake2 with video set to 1024x768 opengl doesn't have flickering now. Preliminary observation is that when bullets fired and hit target a square colored graphic is displayed instead of the more expected image.

Still these are very good improvements and the framerate is fast enough to play these early 3D games even with 780g integrated hd3200.

Good idea. Here is what I have today:

- Supertux: Perfect
    - Supertuxcart: Perfect menu, crashes when starting a race
    - Neverball: Perfect
    - Emilia-Pinball: Works great, but the background and some images are missing (could it be caused by the glxpixmap troubles?)
    - OpenArena: Stable, fast, but too corrupted for playing

When using LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT:

- OpenArena: Works perfectly, but X crashes (when finishing a level, for example)

The performance seems good. With my 4550, I get playable framerates in OpenArena with all effects at 1920x1080 (!!) With some tweaking and driver optimisation, I might reach gaming fps at HD in the future.

Comment

I wonder if that bug you're getting with eduke32 is related to the shadow showing in front of the dino in dinoshade.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        - OpenArena: Works perfectly, but X crashes (when finishing a level, for example)
        Oh, works otherwise perfectly except there's so big a bug in the dri driver that it crashes X? That's a bit of a contradictional statement imo...

Comment

After a mesa update this morning, I've been playing quake3 for a while without X restarting. I have to play more (maybe I was lucky) but yesterday I couldn't play for more than 1 minute without X restarts.

Still needs LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT and there are some issues with transparency (the blood stains are visible through the walls), but it's the first commercial game I can play perfectly with OS drivers! Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
            the blood stains are visible through the walls
            If the wall itself gets rendered, I doubt it's actually transparency but rather the dinoshade bug yet again. As in, you get stuff renderer on the wrong side of a surface. Someone more knowledgeable could probably confirm whether it's some Z-buffer issue or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              If the wall itself gets rendered, I doubt it's actually transparency but rather the dinoshade bug yet again. As in, you get stuff renderer on the wrong side of a surface. Someone more knowledgeable could probably confirm whether it's some Z-buffer issue or whatever.
              Yeah, it's not that the walls are transparent, but that the things that are painted on the floor (blood stains, shadows, etc) can be seen through them. It' easy to reproduce: just shoot the missile launcher to the floor in one side of a wall and go to the other side. You'll see the black stain of the explosion. The same happens in neverball with the goals painted on the floor, they can be seen through doors.

BTW, I've been playing more: still no crashes. The worst bug is fixed

Comment

Did anybody tried old games based on wine ?

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
                  Did anybody tried old games based on wine ?
                  Let's not go to the extreme use cases yet? Much less of a hassle to try to get native games to work properly...

Comment

Well I guess that wine makes a good benchmark as well.
                    But you're right to say it might be a bit soon yet.

What about urban terror ??

Comment

Working...
                    X