Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon OpenGL Linux Driver Massively Improves 3D Texturing Performance For Older GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

They are taking consequences of their greed right now. Their driver for linux is not in great state as well, especially for games which are using XeSS. So no, thank you. (For now)
    Huh? greed

Remind me again, how quickly did AMD drop their open source program for CPUs after Zen launched?

Open Source is Intel's modus operandi, Open Source is just a way for AMD to cope with inferior hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorgp2 View Post

Huh? greed

Remind me again, how quickly did AMD drop their open source program for CPUs after Zen launched?

Open Source is Intel's modus operandi, Open Source is just a way for AMD to cope with inferior hardware.
      I mean obviously didn't invest in new CPUs, just juiced what they had, with frequent socket updates, fake intel® nm and other dirty tricks. Intel did a lot for linux (and still try to do) but they just not in a vanguard. My point was about radeon, not AMD chips (but they are without a doubt the best for laptops right now) imho.

Comment

Huh? greed

Open source for CPUS? You mean like coreboot? .... that was because AMD had no budget for it. That has gradually changed as AMD has regained market share, and they are implementing open platforms for next generation CPUs. Stop clowning.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Depends on your wants/values:

RGB - colors of teams.

I'm team R.
          If we're painting with broad strokes, I'm happy to settle the matter (I have no horse in this race, just a few observations. Maybe more than a few...):

If you want the "best" - and you don't want to have to tinker with it - that usually means Team Green. It generally also means products and software stacks (standards) that are more polished and complete from the get-go (which also means, for better or worse, less untapped performance to be eked-out down the road through future optimizations).

If you want the best for the money, or you like to see your hardware investment ripen over time (as new standards emerge and mature), there's nothing better than Team Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            Polaris is still GFX8 like Tonga.
            I wish I had said that...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Open source for CPUS? You mean like coreboot? .... that was because AMD had no budget for it. That has gradually changed as AMD has regained market share, and they are implementing open platforms for next generation CPUs. Stop clowning.
              No, like documentation for open source devs to write code for their hardware. Which they stopped releasing after Zen launched.

If you were actually interested in open source as covered by Phoronix, you would know how many years it took AMD to actually implement power management for their CPUs.

On the Intel side, they actually work on hardware support before launch. And the community can actually work on the code themselves, since anyone can download their documentation without signing an NDA.

And before you say AMD doesn't need to provide documentation for their hardware, explain the spectral chicken bit for me.

You're the only one clowning here.

Last edited by Jorgp2; 30 April 2024, 06:51 PM.

Comment

And before you say AMD doesn't need to provide documentation for their hardware, explain the spectral chicken bit for me.
                It supresses non-branch predictions. Any other questions?

Comment

No, like documentation for open source devs to write code for their hardware. Which they stopped releasing after Zen launched.

If you were actually interested in open source as covered by Phoronix, you would know how many years it took AMD to actually implement power management for their CPUs.

On the Intel side, they actually work on hardware support before launch. And the community can actually work on the code themselves, since anyone can download their documentation without signing an NDA.

You're the only one clowning here.

You are being stupid.... The driver at this point IS the documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

You are being stupid.... The driver at this point IS the documentation.

We're talking about AMD here, so that driver will not exist for months or even years.

It's very clear you do not understand the difference between shared source and open source software.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      It supresses non-branch predictions. Any other questions?
                      Ahh, yes your response straight from google shows a strong understanding of the subject matter.

Why did Intel have to patch AMDs CPUs, if AMD is so commited to supporting their hardware on linux?

And why was an official Intel contributor to the linux project unable to get any documentation for AMD CPUs even when contacting people at AMD directly?

Comment

Working...
                      X