No announcement yet.

AMD Working To Release MES Documentation & Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me that AMD can't hire programmers so they outsource their processes to the community..

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Tiny corporation, Big win
      Not really. He gave them an ultimatum of opening it up within like a week, and that was about a month ago. By the time this finally gets published (after further weeks or months of delay), it could be irrelevant for Tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
        Because they don't let the GPU compute community help them fix their problems until they are publicly shamed ?
        Name one other GPU maker with open source firmware.

Thanks Tiny Corp. All the haters in the previous threads should thank you as well but that seems unlikely.
        Wow, you sure like counting your chickens before they're hatched. You presume anything good will come of this... I guess Chinese GPU makers will appreciate learning more about how AMD GPUs schedule wavefronts.​

I predict Tiny will do exactly nothing with this firmware source code.

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
        Tiny Corp ... literally offer to fix their dumpsterfire of a kernel driver and firmware code *for free*,
        First, it's awfully fair-minded of you to take Hotz' side in this. /s

Second, I'm betting Tiny will fix little or nothing. I think Hotz' whining was mostly to shift the blame as his investors and/or customers started breathing down his neck to get product out the door or lose his funding/sales. He doesn't actually want to invest the considerable time & effort working on AMD's software & firmware. He was just grasping for some leverage to try and make them prioritize his issues.​
        Last edited by coder; 05 April 2024, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Not really. He gave them an ultimatum of opening it up within like a week, and that was about a month ago. By the time this finally gets published (after further weeks or months of delay), it could be irrelevant for Tiny.
          I dont see how this isn't a big win for them, it wouldn't have happened without them, at least not anytime soon, Opensourcing MES is still very important to them. or at least was until a few days ago.

Comment

Because they don't let the GPU compute community help them fix their problems until they are publicly shamed ?
            AMD is not a monolith, there are advocates and opponents of open sourcing things. Public shaming can help giving more weight to the advocates' voices, or sway those who were neutral/undecided. On the other hand you have companies where no amount of public shaming will make them behave better:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/MTEyMTc
            Not really. He gave them an ultimatum of opening it up within like a week, and that was about a month ago. By the time this finally gets published, it could be irrelevant for Tiny.
            We don't know whether AMD shared the source code privately with TinyCorp already before they made the public announcement.
            Name one other GPU maker with open source firmware.
            Please understand that ​AMD customers have a unique need to open GPU firmware, which is explained by TinyCorp.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              Opensourcing MES is still very important to them. or at least was until a few days ago.
              No, it wasn't. Hotz doesn't give a shit about MES, other than the fact that he was hitting an apparent MES-related error, during training runs. He just wanted AMD to prioritize his issue and fix that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                It seems to me that AMD can't hire programmers so they outsource their processes to the community..
                Actually, they have previously complained that they expected to get a lot of community contributions from their open sourcing, but instead have gotten very little.

Comment

No, it wasn't. Hotz doesn't give a shit about MES, other than the fact that he was hitting an apparent MES-related error, during training runs. He just wanted AMD to prioritize his issue and fix that problem.
                  just checked on the discord for tinygrad, it was but now they are migrating away from it

geohot

also, want to confirm we are still on track to open source the MES?
                  if AMD lied to me about that, we won't be engaging anymore at all.

powderluv

I'll check and get back on status.

geohot

i'm not okay with this. i have asked you via DM multiple times. is it yes or no?
                  i even included a screenshot of the e-mail where i confirmed the roadmap
                  banned from discord​
                  geohot

Yesterday at 1:07 AM
                  i think we can just bypass the MES, leaving only the MEC and SDMA between us and the hardware
                  there's two queues in KFD, the AQL queue and the SDMA queue. the MEC parses AQL and SDMA parses SDMA. i doubt SDMA is very complex​

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                    Can we take a moment to appreciate how odd this is? Tiny Corp wants to make business with AMD so they literally offer to fix their dumpsterfire of a kernel driver and firmware code *for free*, just so they can purchase their products? Thank you Tiny Corp and George Hotz, hopefully you can help both yourselves and AMD.
                    I do take a moment to appreciate how odd this world is. The fact that a company who wants to use consumer grade hardware to offer enterprise solutions, in a way which is reminiscent of crypto mining solutions, are now hailed as heroes is so strange to me. If Tiny Corp business booms am I supposed to thank them for higher prices on consumer cards?

Do we really believe this arrogant little startup, which has not actually offered anything yet other than Twitter posts, have had any impact on AMD's open-source long term strategy? So what, every time AMD open-source something from here on out it's thanks to Tiny Corp? This world truly is upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by kattjaevel View Post

I do take a moment to appreciate how odd this world is. The fact that a company who wants to use consumer grade hardware to offer enterprise solutions,
                      It's not enterprise, it's no where close to enterprise scale.
                      in a way which is reminiscent of crypto mining solutions, are now hailed as heroes is so strange to me. If Tiny Corp business booms am I supposed to thank them for higher prices on consumer cards?
                      If amd doesn't want people to use their cards for compute, they would lock it down. You pay for features in a card, Those are the features givem also prices would go up anyways.
                      Do we really believe this arrogant little startup, which has not actually offered anything yet other than Twitter posts,
                      what a braindead statement, It's so bafflingly stupid it's absurd, as expected from phoronix I guess. Tinycorp develops tinygrad, a deep learning framework capable of stable diffusion, llama etc. It's currently being used in openpilot, which is an opensource AI based driving assistancesystem developed by comma.ai which is another company founded by george hotz. Calling it an "arrogent little startup that hasnt offered anything" is rich when it comes from someone who hasn't done even a modicum of research.

Comment

Working...
                      X